Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined the ranks of SX4 owners this week with my purchase of a 2011 6-speed Sportback Tech. 28k miles, still under factory warranty. I'm quite happy with it. Previously, I'd been an enthusiastic Jeep driver - I still have my Jeep, and I still like it, but I've come to realize it isn't the vehicle I should be driving. The appeal of the Jeep was that it is a small, utilitarian vehicle. But, it gets 14 MPG average, I don't have time to take it off-road anymore, I've been driving it 12,000 miles a year, and it's just about the worst vehicle for driving in slippery conditions.

So, I set out to find a small, utilitarian vehicle which is good on the roads, good in weather, and gets better economy. But I couldn't choose between a FWD vehicle (best economy) or an AWD vehicle (best traction). Thus, my search ended at the SX4 hatch.

I have a few things in mind to modify my new purchase to suit my tastes, and I plan to post updates if there is interest. Firstly though, I have a couple questions to get me rolling:

1) The rear cargo area behind the hatch. I've seen in some pictures this area is flush with the rear seats when folded, and in other pictures there is a step. I didn't understand why until I bought my own SX4. I can see there is a spot for an attachment to clip in and bring it up to level. Where can I get one of those? I don't even know what to call it. Can't find anything online.

2) I plan to disable the seat belt chimes. Yes, I wear my seatbelt almost always, but regardless I am offended by my car telling me what to do -- especially when I've simply set something in the passenger seat and it beeps at me! Obnoxious. I've located the wiring harness where this sensor (attached to where the seat belt clips in) is located. It's a simple 2 wire connection, so I thought if I complete the circuit it would circumvent the seat belt chime, as if the switch is always engaged to say it is buckled. This did not work. On closer examination with a multimeter, I see that the leads from this seat belt clip, when engaged with the seat belt, produce a low resistance (not 100% as if a simple switch were engaged). So, something more complicated is going on. The seat belt unit where the sensor is contained appears to be sealed such that I cannot take it apart and see what is going on. If I were to get the right resistor and plug it into the harness below, would it satisfy the computer as if the seat belt were buckled in? (I don't want to insert blank seat belt buckles in the clips either. I want to use my seat belts, but not have my car tell me so.)

Well that should be good for a start. Looking forward to joining this community.... I think these vehicles are highly underrated.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yeah..the cargo floor complement has been asked for by others too...the funny thing is that I generally do not use it as I like to increase cargo volume...but I keep it just in case.
Here are some pictures if one wants to build a functional equivalent with 3/4 in..plywood. but I read some have been able to buy one for 100$ ....I think....

http://www.avigex.ca/sx4/Panel3.jpg
http://www.avigex.ca/sx4/Panel2.jpg
http://www.avigex.ca/sx4/Panel1.jpg

about seat belts, from what I read here from the shop manual:

..it seems that inserting the seat belt OPENS the contact....so...

..and..where do you live ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So those cargo inserts are not sold aftermarket? Did they come standard with all applicable hatchbacks (meaning my previous owner lost it)?

Huh, interesting... no continuity when seat belt is inserted... but when I disconnect the harness (no continuity), the instrument panel lights up with both the buckle up light and the seat belt pretension system light. Not sure why on that second one. In either event it seems the happenings inside the buckle catch are not resulting in 100%/0% continuity; there is resistance involved, which I believe I need to replicate.

I'm in central Vermont, USA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure about the US models, but all the Canadian Models for 2011 (JA, JX, JLX) came with the "Cargo Area Cover" standard. That is what it is called in the sales brochure. I find it a handy addition. Most times I don't need the extra depth and it is nice to slide items straight in. This doesn't help you much, but at least you now know what it is called.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I.. all the Canadian Models for 2011 (JA, JX, JLX) came with the "Cargo Area Cover" standard.
yes I was surprised when it appeared this was not standard everywhere...but Canadian models were WAY more expensive than in the USA.......

.. it seems the happenings inside the buckle catch are not resulting in 100%/0% continuity; there is resistance involved, which I believe I need to replicate.
Yeah...probably..the "short" is probably real but the "open" is the one that I suspect is not really an open circuit. Try to measure the voltage at plug, on computer side, 1) plug not connected, belt inserted.. then 2) plug connected, belt inserted : it will be probably be something between the voltage measured at 1) and zero....probably a voltage divider.
Or measure the resisteance on seat side or wiring, with plug unconnected, belt inserted: it might tell the resistance you have to duplicate. I just hope this is not a coded "intelligent" chip that sends a message to the computer....I have tried to trace the wiring diagram of those seat belt circuits...not found yet...will come back with results if any.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
OK..found it
contact 20 on next picture (driver seat belt)

seeing the waveform....this looks like a...RC circuit time constant. So...possible that the seat contains both a resistor and a capacitor. Of course....a scope would be useful to adjust values to match the shown waveform....but what I suggest in post above would reveal the resistor value...then the approximate C value could be calculated...
The time constant from the graphic is around 8 mS....then R (ohms) x C(in Farads) = 0.008S

supposing R = 10000ohms...then C = 0.008/10000 = 0.0000008 F or 0.8uF (microfarads) ..totally plausible.....a standard capacitor value of 0.82uF exists

Tell me what you find....
Funny thing...found nothing about other seats....EDIT: yes..L170/N...seems to be a common reference for all passenger seats...but I suppose you would keep the bell as a safety reminder for eventual passengers that would not have your strict safety habits....wouldn't you...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
... picked up a pile of resistors. I intend to experiment in the near future - will report back.
I do not know your electronic background..so this

is what the seat belt replacement would look like (larger than real size) . Actual values might have to be adjusted following your measurements of internal resistance values ....if resistance is 100k instead of 10k, then capacitor would become 0.082uF.

GOod luck....if I find time, I might just peek at wife's sx4 .....

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I can only respond to the Seat Belt Chime.

Some years ago, and several cars ago, I found that the seat belt buckle was so far down in the seat that I could hardly even reach it.

So I went looking for a Seat Belt Extender. I found them at a company right here in FL. It was never my intention to defeat the seat belt warning chime, but as soon as I installed the Seat Belt Extender that's exactly what happened.

Amazon.com: universal seatbelt extender

I got the 8" rigid extender, so it stands up straight and I don't have to fish for it.
But, when it's plugged in, the car thinks the seat belt is fastened, and disables the Chimes.

I have a great picture of mine, in my SX4, along with my custom center arm rest.

I think I paid $37.95 ea. for mine, but that was several years ago, and I've seen them since then for a lot less money.
Now, I can buy a pack of 2, for less money.
They do make buckling up a "SNAP". (pun intended) :)

Cheers Mates!
Shadow :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can only respond to the Seat Belt Chime.

Some years ago, and several cars ago, I found that the seat belt buckle was so far down in the seat that I could hardly even reach it.

So I went looking for a Seat Belt Extender. I found them at a company right here in FL. It was never my intention to defeat the seat belt warning chime, but as soon as I installed the Seat Belt Extender that's exactly what happened.

Amazon.com: universal seatbelt extender

I got the 8" rigid extender, so it stands up straight and I don't have to fish for it.
But, when it's plugged in, the car thinks the seat belt is fastened, and disables the Chimes.

I have a great picture of mine, in my SX4, along with my custom center arm rest.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g90/DrWho1943/Arm%20Rests/Newarmrest.jpg[IMG][/URL]

I think I paid $37.95 ea. for mine, but that was several years ago, and I've seen them since then for a lot less money.
Now, I can buy a pack of 2, for less money.
They do make buckling up a "SNAP". (pun intended) :)

Cheers Mates!
Shadow :cool:[/quote]

That.... just may be the best idea I have heard all week.

I'm still going to play around with the resistors first, for that "seamless" installation, but this is a solid (and easier) plan B. Thanks much for the input.

You guys want to know something ridiculous? I agree there is not generally a huge advantage to the cargo insert thing. After all, it takes up space where space is limited. The only appeal it has to me is for the knowledge in the back of my mind that one day I'm sure I'll end up sleeping in the back of this thing. It's definitely not a sleeper vehicle, but I'm pretty sure I could get diagonal in the back area enough for a night or two, if it were flat. That sort of necessity pops up at the strangest of times....

Still very happy with my SX4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.