Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my daughter an 2006 GV with a lot of miles on it for her first car, and plan to check valve clearances as it seems a little noisy. In the Gen3 forum yesterday, Annfam gave me the procedure to set solid lifter valve clearances. After searching everywhere including this forum, I found that Suzuki special tool quoted in the procedure (09916–66510) is unobtanium. There is a post on this forum about an alternate tool from Suzuki Marine (ee Tim McCabes post at Valve inspections on the '06-'08, 2.7L V-6 ). The Suzuki Marine tool is much easier to use, but its ~$175-450 on Ebay.

BUT- I found what seems to be an identical tool from OMC Outboard. Its about $50. I ordered it this morning and will post an update next month to let you know if it works. A picture comparing the Suzuki Marine and the OMC tool is attached.

Jeff
Lakewood, CO
06 Grand Vitara AWD/4WD 2.7L automatic, 128Kmi
Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Thanks for that. Although I don't need one of those I do think the fact that you posted a useful entry to help someone else is admirable. A solution to a problem rather than nothing at all. Too few ask for a solution and post a follow up.
One thing of some interest might be if anybody knew whether the 2.7l engine is somebody elses motor. I have a 3.2l based on GMs V6 (of 3.6l) and there are tons of those around here so motor work would not be a problem. Nor sourcing special tools etc. If the 2.7l is a Suzuki only motor then you are a bit stuffed but if it was based on somebody elses motor it might expand the sources for experience and tools.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chrissybabe,

I looked on wikipedia to see where the Suzuki 2.5/2.7L engines (H25A and H27A) were built or used. Apparently the Suzuki H series was a joint development with with Mazda and Toyota, but evolved separately at all 3 companies after Suzuki's H20 came out. The Suzuki H25A is used in the 2001-2004 Chevrolet Tracker, so Chevy probably uses a tool just like Suzuki's.

Regarding motor work, do you suppose I could go to a GM dealer for motor work in the future? Nobody in Denver seems to work on these...

FWIW, I also found an aftermarket set of hydraulic lifters for the 2.5/2.7L engines:
( Lash Adjuster Lifters Set For 99-06 Suzuki Vitara Chevrolet Tracker 2.5L 2.7L V6 | eBay) I dont know how well these work, but it seems like these could eliminate routinevalve lash adjustments...

Lakewood, CO

·
Super Moderator
19,558 Posts
Are you thinking that the earlier engine hydraulic lifters stuffed into a later model mechanical / bucket style lifter config will work??? :oops:
We're talking two different and unique designs here.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Did the wikipedia say what the differences were between the two engine sizes ?
As regards trying a local GM dealer you have nothing to lose by asking. In my case the GM engine was used in a local Aussie brand of car called the Commodore and they made a ton of them. There are obviously some engine parts that GM may not be able to source, if required, but the method of getting into the engine etc (leaving aside ancillarys) should be the same. I suspect that you might want to select which GM dealer you approach because sometimes it just gets 'too hard' for some dealers who don't want to be bothered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Max, the Ebay ad indicates they hyd lifters fit -
01-04 CHEVROLET TRACKER 2.5L 2500CC V6 DOHC, (24 Valve) Eng. Code "H25A"
99-05 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA 2.5L 2500CC V6 DOHC, (24 Valve) Eng. Code "H25A"
01-01 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA 2.7L 2737CC V6 DOHC, (24 Valve) Eng. Code "H27A"
04-04 SUZUKI VITARA 2.5L 2500CC V6 DOHC, (24 Valve) Eng. Code "H25A"
02-04 SUZUKI XL-7 2.7L 2700CC V6 DOHC, (24 Valve) Eng. Code "H27A"
05-06 SUZUKI XL-7 2.7L 2737CC V6 DOHC, (24 Valve) Eng. Code "H27A"

Chrissybabe,
The Ebay ad didnt give much in way of specifics other than the list above.
Cheers!

Jeff
Lakewood, CO

·
Super Moderator
19,558 Posts
Those replacement lifters in the ad support the earlier (hydraulic lifter) engine only. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts