Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I'm a new member here but have read a lot before joining. I just bought a 92 Samurai with the fuel injected 1.3 and am trying to work out the bugs. It seems to run well although it is smoking a bit, especially first start in the morning. Feels like I have good power although I have nothing to compare it to. Runs 70+mph as long as it's not uphill. My main concern with the truck is the horrible fuel consumption (10MPG). I have looked at previous posts about this but am only finding info on carbureated engines. No check engine light, and all vacuum lines look to be in tact. Truck has new plugs and wires and a fresh air filter. Factory size tires and no gear mods. I realize this could be lots of things but I really have no idea where to start looking. I was hoping for 25mpg. Most driving will be 30-55mph. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I tried a fuse in the diagnostic port and got a 1 pause 2 flash. It repeated the 1_2 cycle until I removed it. I did find one vacuum line with a hole in it going into the intake manifold on the front side of the engine and am on the way to the auto parts store for a replacement. Any other insight would be great. Nice to have this forum with all the knowledge available. Thanks!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
The flashing 1-2 indicates that the ECM thinks everything is normal.

When cold does it idle about 1200-1500 rpms and then settles down to a steady 850 rpms when warmed up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it seems to rev about 1500-2000rpm for about two minutes first thing in the morning. (no tach on this one) It then settles down and idles fine around 800-1000. I tried a seafoam treatment on the throttle body and seems to run a bit smoother. There was a lot of gunk in the throat of it. Still looking for better economy. The truck feels good on the road like nothing is dragging or anything. Will try a compression check tonight when I can borrow the guage from my neighbor. Valves were set a little loose according to the previous owner. I haven't done adjustments before but I might give it a go if it would help. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
293 Posts
ebattleon is correct. The first step in any tuneup should be to adjust the valves. Invest in a stop-go feeler gauge as it does make adjusting the valves and removes the guesswork of whether it is too tight or too loose..

8 valve lash setting

Seafoam is great stuff. Did you pour 1/3 of the can down the throttle body keeping it running, let it sit for about 15 minutes, and drive through the neighborhood fogging the area?

How To Seafoam Your Car & Clean Carbon Buildup | Tech Aids & Articles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts