Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There Folks,
I am a new member to this site, and I have been reading this forum for a few months. It's a great site! Thank-you. This may seem a little redundant, but I'd appreciate a response. I just bought a stock '87 Samurai w/ no dents and 137,000 miles on it for $575. I would like to do some mods to it. My friends have used Rocky Roads SPOA Lifts on three or four Samurai. They seem to work okay; however, every one of their rear shock mount bolts have broken off. Also, a friend just received his new SPOA Lift Kit from Rocky Road. I noticed they beefed up their rear shock bolts. My questions are:
1. Who has the better SPOA Lift: Rocky R, Petro W, Trail T, and Calmini?
2. Who has a good OTT steering?
3. Who has a good solid trans case gear reduction? I'm leaning towards Petro Works GRSII 489:1. I'll be running 31" tires or bigger.
4. What Weber carb would you suggest to run on the '87 Samurai? Would it be the 32/36, 34/34, or 38mm?
Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have the lowrangeoffroad spoa kit with the highsteer on my 87 sammie and havent had a single problem with it, and i bought bits and pieces and put it all together just the way i like it and it was considerably cheaper, the spoa kit with the spring pads brake lines and driveshaft spacers and the highsteer kit was only a little over 400 after shipping, then you can do your own shock mounts for more travel, im running the 6.5:1 gears from trailtough with 32" tires and love my gearing, still run 75 down the highway, and i have a weber 32/36 which seems to be the cheapest and most common and easy to modify a little, if you look at my weber carb post it shows how to make them climb hills very well, also when you have it all taken apart theres a lot to do so your tires dont rub, like hammer down the flap welds under the fender wells and at least trim the stock bumper if u dont cut it off and replace it with an aftermarket bumper

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi dunn,
thanks for your reply- wow,75 mph down the highway with low gearing, thats great! I have a friend that fabricates neat bumpers so i'm good there. I was reading that the 38mm weber was really good for engine mods, but the 32/36 will get better fuel mileage. I'll read up on lowrange spoa kit. thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
im not sure how the 38 does offroad, but i have a isky torquer cam, .20 over high compression pistons and bigger valves with doug thorley headers, a high flow cat, and a cherry bomb and i had to have my 32/36 re-jetted but its a great carb

·
Registered
193 Posts
3. Who has a good solid trans case gear reduction? I'm leaning towards Petro Works GRSII 489:1. I'll be running 31" tires or bigger.
A true 31" tire is about 14% oversize, and the GSRII high-range is 18% lower than stock. This is a pretty good match, especially if you have the early 5th (overdrive) gear (pre-88.5), which is about 8% more overdrive. You should be able to keep your same highway speed as now. The 31's are a bit harder to turn (rolling resistance and weight), so the additional 4% gear reduction from this combination should be useful.

If you're not happy with your final 5th ratio afterwards, you could then consider swapping to the later 5th gear, which provides 8-9% additional gear reduction; 300-400 more RPMs but more torque at the wheels.
The next logical step would be to consider a lower R&P ratio. You'd have to replace both, F&R. You could also just do the R&Ps first, and keep a stock T-case. That way, your speedo would stay closer to correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
suzuki samurai mods

thanks BillJohn for the info on the 38mm weber carb, now I can scratch it off my list .I will stick with the 32/36 weber. Also, thanks to merlin for info on tranfercase and tire size. I have considered changing the r&p and will have to reseach deeper into it. thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts