Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum. Looks like great place to find help. Thanks in advance.

I purchased a 1991 samurai from a friends father. The vehicle was owned by his father who pasted away. The vehicle has 22,000 miles and sat in a barn for most of its life. The old man bought it to use like a mule, razor, or similar ATV around his farm. Not very hard miles.

I have changed oil, fuel tank, starter cable, plugs, wires, DC, fan belt, transmission, transfer case and front rear differential oils. The engine had a small leak, had new seals put in.

All done, but I have a vibration that starts at about 35mph. The vibration feels like running over miniature rumble strips. If I coast down a hill at 35mph+, no vibration... touch the gas on way down, rumble/vibration starts again. Need help!

Also have a whine when engaging clutch. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Sounds like a balance problem, probably a driveshaft. If they have been pulled apart during the buildup you need to check to make sure they were put back together 'in phase'. There are marks on both pieces that line up, but basically the u-joints need to be perfectly aligned (lined up). Might as well check to see if any of those u-joints are loose or worn out. The vibration seems to only show up 'under load' so they are probably just on the edge of failing.
Welcome to the addiction.
;)

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Under load, a driveshaft out of phase or a u-joint that is failing will cause a vibration. But when it is coasting, you don't feel the vibration as much. The tire will make the same vibration when under load or not.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Under load, a driveshaft out of phase or a u-joint that is failing will cause a vibration. But when it is coasting, you don't feel the vibration as much. The tire will make the same vibration when under load or not.
I have a vibration or shudder under load in 1st and 2nd gear. It goes away as the speed increases and I don't feel it at all in 3rd and above. I also don't feel it in low range at all.

I do have some play in the u-joints of the front and rear shafts, with more play in the rear-most u-joint of the rear shaft. I have ordered new u-joints and boots and plan on replacing them all as soon as they arrive.

I am wondering if the shudder I am feeling is caused the u-joints, but I get no vibration at 35+.

Oh, and my shudder/vibration is completely gone at 20 mph.

·
Registered
21 Posts
any update on this. i get the same also, i think the previous owner heated the roters in front and that might be my problem and i also have the front most rear u joint alittle loose.

when i get going you can feel the steering wheel shake at 30+, then gone at 60 but 65mph it comes back, coast to 60mph then its gone till i get down to about 50 then worsens at 45 then gone below 30.

im just gonna jack her up and check ball joints, wheel bearings, ujoints, get wheels balenced and check brakes. thats the only things i can think that will make the steering wheel vibrate. just get a dual shock stabilizer and forget about it. haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi MDR.

Just wondering if it is a small vibration or if it could perhaps be what they call "shimmy". This shimmy vibrates your steering wheel at a certain speed, and it gets worse if you stay at that speed. If you accelerate or decelerate the problem goes away, and it happens mostly on hard surfaces like tarmac. I have had this on my '84 SJ410 and I'm currently finding out what all the problems or possible causes are. Strangely enoug, it was also at about 35mph. If you can confirm that it could be shimmy, then I have a couple of things that you can check...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts