Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had the pleasure of purchasing a 1988 Samurai Hardtop. It has 68k Original miles on the clock and is in nice condition. I would like to post some pictures once Im able to post pics. Im not into the lifting or sporting it up aspect, I just simply want to keep it stock as possible and re paint it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Welcome!

Very nice vehicle. They are deceptively capable in stock guise and mods should not be necessary. It will be nice to see one preserved and cared for.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to clean it up a bit yesterday and I will add more pics. I need to buy a headlight and a fuel filter. I believe the speedometer is not accurate. I also need some odds and ends like the rear seat rubber latch to lock the seat in the folded position. Also need a cassette radio knob. I waxed the paint and actually was able to get some polish out of it and now it looks different. Will post pictured soon.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Cant wait to see. I had tons of OEM bits like that to replace, I used Mike at Mikoda industries, he has tons of OEM Samurai stuff and priced quite fairly. I also believe he is a board member here.

Around here a stock Sami with stock wheels legally fits on some of the ATV trails where width is a concern.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics, Just had the interior shampoos and looks better than the pics show. I also washed the engine and added protectant to the plastics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey, it cleaned up well. I think the tin tops look better IMO. I also wish I had purchased mine in stock form but when I was looking there really wasn't much to choose from condition-wise. So for now I'm stuck with a 3.5 inch lift, which isn't all that bad since it's pretty smooth on the highway but I would prefer a little less lift.

Do you have any plans at all in the way of mods?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, No mods planned just enjoy it till the engine quits then upgrade to a bigger engine. I took it on the highway today and ran like a Top very nimble and quiet for a 26 year old. I also replaced the air and fuel filter today they seemed to be the original ones and surely needed them.

·
Registered
686 Posts
That cleaned up beautifully, very nice. IMHO the best bang for the buck is to buy and enjoy!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Nice looking Sammy, I wish that I could find a nice clean one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, Also one with little to no rust. I am very happy with my purchase and that you guys for your support.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guy. I am currently looking into transporting it to El Paso Tx where I have plans to paint it to make it almost like new. I will keep you guys posted with pics of course.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I dont know where you are at but what a sweet road trip that would be! toss your bug-out bag in the back with a couple jerry cans, I'm not sure how this could suck, other than the TX part :lol:

Seriously, keep us posted with before and aft pics, it looks like a great candidate for restoration.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will be towing it 4 down..removing the drive shaft and tow it away. Transport companies are charging me 650+ to transport it 800 miles!! With gas prices low and with it only weighting 2,100 pounds I feel thats very high.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agree, I will. I'm in the process of towing it back to Texas. I have also made contact with a local painter that is ready to paint him as soon as I return. I will post pics of before and after. I can't wait.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought an 88 Tin Top thats in Yuma, AZ. Now I gotta pay $600 to get it hauled from AZ to Mountain Home, TX. Bought it sight unseen but it looks real good in pictiures. Previous owner seemed to know quite a bit about it. Cant wait to see it in person! I have a Geo Tracker, 95, automatic, that I love. Been having transmission problems, like, wont shift out of first gear till transmission warms up. Then it shifts just fine. Gotta find a solution to that one. Its totally stock and real fun to drive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts