Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what mods to do first, i want to do a good bit of offroading with it. I would love to lift it, but that would probably mean new tires and i wanna have the power for them, would you suggest trying to get more power out of it, re-gearing it, or just doing the lift first? I'm thinking of a new carb, new header, and cat back to get more power. maybe a new cam. lift, i dont wanna spend huge bucks, for now, maybe a 3 inh calmini or 2 inch OME, as well as a shackle reversal.

I just bought this sammi, and its my first, had another small 4x4 before. Any help, suggestions?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Get used to it as is first. Take it wheeling . Get it dirty. And then start thinking about mods. Power is allways a good thing. Bolt on lifts allways leave something to be desired.
And tire greed will just cost money.
Study , study , study. All the info you will ever need is here on the interweb.
Wlecome aboard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i have heard with the lifts, although here in Sicily, lift parts sourced locally are lacking in quality, expensive, and/or just plain scary. I go back to the states in July, but i wanna get a little more out of it while I'm here. Where we usually go wheeling, the stock lift isnt enough, i got stuck once, and scraped or hit and broke with my Lada Niva 4x4 I had before, which sat a good bit higher than the sammi. I'm all for getting to know it, but wanna get stuff ordered now, because of how long people take to ship to FPO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first reply didnt show up,. I said I plan on ggetting to know it, however, where i go wheeling, the stock lift wont do, and want nothing to do with over priced, poor quality, dangerous, locally sourced lifts. my Lada Niva 4x4 I just sold sat a bit higher with smaller tyres, and i scraped often, hi centered once, and even tore a dif out. I don't wanna beat this up if I can do something to make it more capable and safer for it and me.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
That's a nice looking Sammy :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, or do you mean his? lol, I dont think mine has seen much real off-road, as the guy had other hobbiies that took a lot of time, rugby, coaching, a family.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Good looking Zuke.
I'd go with the OME SUA lift.
Stay away from off the shelf shackle reverce lifts. Fangs of death.......
And keep it simple. At least until you get back home and have a better source of parts and service.
And thanks for you're service brother.....

Navy special forces unit E-8 ( retired )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you for your service senior, if it wasnt for salty old guys, i might not have a navy to serve in. i have heard the OME is the only way to go for aftermarket leaf springs, im curious about a coil lift, personally, coils are easier, more comfortable, and safer, but thats opinion. I will stay away from body liffts, i dont like them for non-unibody vehicles, and thanks, i wish i could say it's me who kept it so nice, but its not.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've had mine almost 4 years. It is almost stock, including tire size. I've done a lot of off-road trails and never felt the need to do anything for better off-road performance. The Samurai is very small and very light. That lets it get away with things that are very surprising.

I have done a 1.5" lift with OME springs, but that was to improve the ride.

I also want to put 4.16 gears in the transfer case, for the steepest hills at high altitude, but even with the stock gears, I run out of traction before I run out of power. It would just be nice to not have to rev the motor out to get up the steep hills at high altitude.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
No flares makes it look like a JDM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts