Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys, i just picked up my first samurai....a 1989 jl sport that i paid 2k for. the truck has very little rust and runs decent. i did search for the specific topics but didnt come up with exactly what i was looking for. the sammy has a weber carb that was installed prior to my purchasing it. when i got it, it was idled up WAY too high so i backed it down a bit. after doing that, the motor started running real rough and jumping around. i played around trying to figure it out and found that a vacuum line on the intake under the carb wasn't connected to anything. i put my finger over it and the motor instantly started running right. what is this vacuum for? i capped it off, should i have? another question i have is how can i adjust the carb? it seems to be running too rich. do i need to install a pressure regulator or buy a low pressure fuel pump? what exactly is a jl sport? is it a trim level? whats the sport for? after i get the carb issues fixed, there are a few things that i want/need to go to it.
1. get a header.....if they are worth it. thinking about a long tube for more top end. i plan on driving this thing about 80 miles a day.
2. new seats.....either reupholster mine or get some neon seats. i also have to move the tracks back somehow. i'm 6'4" and im a snug fit. i moved the seats back in a toyota corolla and im pretty sure i can do it to the sammy
3. get new rubbers and seals. windows have no rubber or seals and rattle like crazy. also, the door seals are about gone....i can see outside with the door closed up where the door meets the roof. i also have to get some rubber stoppers or plugs for all the holes in the floor....which brings me to
4. carpet.....previous owner removed all of it. should i re-carpet or line-x it?
5. interior parts....middle dash trim, glove box door, door panels
6. outside trim pieces....they're there but barely. they aren't held on by much and are all warped from age/heat. thinking about the diamond plate ones.

another thing that i noticed is the steering wheel seems to moan/roar when turning left or right. doesnt seem to be coming from the steering linkage but from the wheel itself. anyone else have this or know of a fix?
oh, and one more thing is that the little thing whines when driving at highway speeds. seems to only do it in 5th gear and only when coasting or very light throttle.
im sure theres more but im tired of typing....thanks for reading

·
Registered
193 Posts
1) Header: In Calif., Thorley is the only option. I do like the looks of the Calmini Stainless Steel header, and so do a lot of Zukers. Any power increase will be mostly at the top end, and you must mate it with a large diameter exhaust system to benefit (2" is the most popular). Thin-walled headers are often noisier than a cast iron exhaust manifold. You may have to re-adjust your aftermarket carburation.
3) Suzuki introduced a new rubber door seal and it works! My rig was leaking a lot in the rain; now with new door seals, windlaces and flipped whiskers, it's tight for the first time in years. Dunno why I waited so long!
4) Carpet: It's your preference, but I've heard a lot of talk about Monstaliner (monstaliner.com) recently. Whichever liner you choose, it will add some weight. Not a big deal, but I like & need to keep my rig light. So you'll decide whether the additional weight is worth it. Lined interiors are near bullet-proof and clean up/out with a hose. Seems to me that liner should add a small amount of noise quieting as well. If you decide later that you prefer carpet, you CAN add it. Liner is a lot of work to install and remove, so it's mostly permanent.
5) Many of the plastic interior parts are still available from Suzuki (middle dash and glove box), although at ever increasing prices. I really do like the black ABS door panels from designsofsteel.com!!

My steering wheel rubs on the plastic cowling. I've decided to live with it. For me, diamond plate is a trade-off. It's durable and definitely OK-looking, but adds a little weight. So, I'm very selective about where I use it -- black rocker panels are my first choice. DP interior door panels are a non-starter for me. [In CA, smog-legal means NO Weber.]

Edit: As I understand it, the windlace is the seal along the side of the windows, and the whisker is the felt-like seal at the bottom, with a metal backing. I was told that one could simply flip my whiskers (top for bottom), using the lower unused side, and save the cost of new ones, at least for a while. It's done now, so we'll see how well it works. New whiskers would have been more $.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply Merlin. i live in alabama, so any header goes for me. i'll have to look at that calmini. and i'm going to have to get another exhaust as the one on it has a bad case of steel cancer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts