Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my new Samurai I bought a few weeks ago. So far everythings great just gotta fix a couple things and it's perfect. I wasn't too farmiliar when I bought this thing I just knew they were prized by off-roaders all over. I realized i'm gonna need a good steering stabilizer because I learned real quick what bumpsteer was. Here's a couple pics of what i've got including one shot of a really...really scary moment lol.

And the scary moment.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
get rid of the front shackles

Alot of your problems is caused by the cheap and dangerous lift in the front. Replace those aftermarket spring shackles with originals. They are allowing movement in the springs (side to side) as well as thowing off the steering agle as it relates to the ground (not parallel). It would drive a whole lot better if brought back to stock.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Agreed!
The REAL scary moment is realizing that you are running cheap monster shackles and what they will do when you least expect it!

Great truck, but please, please consider a real lift instead of those 'accidents-waiting-to-happen'... even a good OME stab won't fix that.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My Samurai is almost bone stock and in great tune(finally), with the exception of a high-flow exhaust, Bilstein shocks, and an OME steering stabiliser. I'm continually amazed at how competent of a vehicle Suzuki designed.

I feel that many of the bad traits atributed to Samurai's come from poor lifts, bad tune, and poor gearing from fitting oversized tires without compensating for them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ya, it looks just like mine except for those shackles. Even with the stock ones I don't think I want to go that fast.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My sammy is stock and I do 85mph in it everyday, and it is not scary at all, most people stare in amazement that it can pass them. My motor is souped up that how I go that fast, built for speed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My sammy is stock and I do 85mph in it everyday, and it is not scary at all, most people stare in amazement that it can pass them. My motor is souped up that how I go that fast, built for speed.
hey bro im in el paso. I am looking to rebuild my engine like you have done, can you give me some advice, and idea how much parts, and machine work will cost, thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I spent about 1,500.00 on the whole thing. I bought all my stuff from SAMMYPRO I did not bore the engine because it did not need it. I did my build base off the stalker project that billjohn did, as far as the enigine, I still need to do exhuast to finish it. I pulled the engine and put it in myself, to save money, the machine work was about 500.00 and I picked up a weber carb 32/36 for 80 bucks super cheap. then I put a new clutch throwout bearing on the tranny. the tranny parts cost 60.00 I put it in myself. The enigine guts consist of 10.1 flat top high compression pistons and I put a mid to high range cam. I can blow the doors off any sammy or tracker as far as speed, I dont 4wheel it, I have a nice jeep cherokee for that and doesnt see the dirt that much. Call SAMMYPRO and tell them you what you are trying to acomplish and they can point you in the right direction as far as parts, good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like replacement shackles are really inexpensive I'm not sure where the previous owner got them!! I'll probably be replacing them soon. Now if I could only get the CEL off from the MAP sensor!!! At high speeds the CEL turns off but comes on when I get off the highway??? I'm not sure but it still runs like a champ. What's funny is I'm getting use to the swaying from the shackles but I know that when I replace them I'll be the one swaying because I'm use to correcting it! Haha can you guys recommend a good set of shackles around $75 or less and do I need front and rear or just front?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just noticed today the previous owner didn't replace the bushings for the aftermarket shackles so the springs aren't even being held in to the shackles. Also noticed today the exhaust manifold has 3 cracks in it. I thought it was only going to be a gasket replacement!! Oh well at least it's nothing major.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts