Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this 2000 Tracker for my wife earlier this week. It's in great shape, with 65K on the clock. Just have a couple issues that maybe ya'll could point me in the right direction. It's a 4 door, 2.0 I4, auto, 4X4.

Issue one, when the engine reaches operating temperature, in Drive/reverse at idle, the rpms seem low (500-600), and the car vibrates pretty bad. It's worse in reverse. I tested IAC motor by turning the steering wheel and making sure idle increased, and unplugging the A/c compressor and cutting the A/c on. Idles increased correctly. I'm waiting on my next paycheck to pick up a bluetooth OBD2 connector so I can read live data/fault codes. Don't have a scan tool in my shop that I can use on the tracker.

Issue two. Intermittently at night, headlights/instrument cluster lights, interior lights/radio pulsate. I'm suspecting it's a ground issue. May run an extra ground off the battery to the frame because the factory grounds look somewhat weak. Alternator is charging well, 14.4 volts idle/no loads, and 14 volts with a lot of loads turned on (a/c, radio, high beams, hazards, etc.)

Three. May not be an issue, might be normal. But driving/sitting still, transfer case shifter vibrates/shakes. Just curious if this is a sign of the transmission mount going out.

Anyhow here's a couple picks of the wife's new tracker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congrats on you find I too am also a new 2000 grand Vitara owned I found a 2000 GV 2.5 with 63,400 miles on it I got it cheep for $2300.00 from a Lil-old Lady

I had a small Idle problem when I got mine I changed out the air cleaner and it fixed it went from 500 rpm to 700 rpm nice and smooth It also has a broken throttle cable that bye the way was part of a recall and never fixed I have a appt for it in a week

A new ground is always a good idea but I would run 2 1 to the block and 1 to the body

and yes the 4WD shiftier will always vibrate when the truck is running it is directly attached to the transfer case that is why there is a rubber boot around it

and remember a tune up wont hurt
good luck with it I hope your wife likes it

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Found a snap of the ol' lady

... Philip

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
and yes the 4WD shiftier will always vibrate when the truck is running it is directly attached to the transfer case that is why there is a rubber boot around it
Not true Esty - the 4WD shifter is a two piece shifter with a rubber isolator that absorbs the vibrations - also - I have a 2.0, 5 speed, 4WD, once it's up to operating temperature, you can sit behind the wheel with the engine idling and the only way to tell is to look at the tachometer - no vibration whatsoever.

The reason for the rubber boot is to seal fumes etc. out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not true Esty - the 4WD shifter is a two piece shifter with a rubber isolator that absorbs the vibrations - also - I have a 2.0, 5 speed, 4WD, once it's up to operating temperature, you can sit behind the wheel with the engine idling and the only way to tell is to look at the tachometer - no vibration whatsoever.

The reason for the rubber boot is to seal fumes etc. out.
So it Isnt supposed to move around? Hmm engine/transmission mounts might be worn out then...

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
If the idle rpm is low (and yours is) the engine will vibrate and everything will shake - idle rpms should be in the 700~800 rpm area with the a/c off and 750~850 with the a/c on - fix the idle problem and the vibrations will probably disappear.

FSM spec is 750 +/- 50 rpm (a/c off) and 800 +/- 50 rpm (a/c on)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the idle rpm is low (and yours is) the engine will vibrate and everything will shake - idle rpms should be in the 700~800 rpm area with the a/c off and 750~850 with the a/c on - fix the idle problem and the vibrations will probably disappear.

FSM spec is 750 +/- 50 rpm (a/c off) and 800 +/- 50 rpm (a/c on)
Ok. I'll post back when I get a scanner and check live sensor data. Going to put new plugs in this weekend. Has a new airfilter.

·
Registered
522 Posts
To fix your pulsating lights replace the alternator because that is a problem with these vehicles. I replaced mine and no more problem. You can find it on ebay for about $110.00.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The cam sensors are also a known problem. f you vehicle shuts down and will not start until it cools down it's the cam sensor.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Not yet.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. Got my bluetooth adapter and torque app. The first two screen shots are at idle in park. Just a minute amount of vibration, second two are in reverse.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Would like to see a closed loop
graph of the B1S1 at idle and at 2000rpm, also
ECT at idle and 2000rpm..

.... Philip

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would like to see a closed loop
graph of the B1S1 at idle and at 2000rpm, also
ECT at idle and 2000rpm..

.... Philip
Will do. I'll have to do it tomorrow since the weather here is bad. Do you want the idle graphs in park/reverse, etc? 2000rpm graphs moving or stationary? Thanks

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
It does not matter provided they are at a stead rpm (sustained)

on second thoughts do the ECT, both standing and at road speed..

.... Philip

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK got graphs of o2 b1s1 and ext at idle and 2000rpms. Had to do them stationary.
From left to right: o2/idle, o2/2k, ect/idle, ect/2k.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?? It just sounds like a good fit.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Are the brakes hard? Check vacuum booster to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts