Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting a Samurai for the longest time, and finally one came across my path. Is a 1988, Soft top. My problem is that after 2 days of driving it, it started blowing a lot of white smoke from the exhaust.

I did some research, and it looks like I have antifreeze in my oil. I read that normally this is caused by a bad Head Gasket. My questions are:

1. Is my diagnosis correct?

2. Is this something that any certified mechanic can take care of, or should I take it to a Suzuki dealer?

2. How expensive would it be to correct this? (I understand it will vary, but want to know if are talking hundreds or thousands)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Vic

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Any competent mechanic would be able to replace the head gasket however it would be wise to ensure that they are aware that the head gasket can go on two ways, if you get it wrong then it blocks an oil way and trashes the top end. o\there than that its a very simple engine to work on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any competent mechanic would be able to replace the head gasket however it would be wise to ensure that they are aware that the head gasket can go on two ways, if you get it wrong then it blocks an oil way and trashes the top end. o\there than that its a very simple engine to work on.
Well, it was the head gasket. It is in the shop now. Is there anything else that I should replace while the head is off? Tensioner? Timing chain?

Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
Generally speaking, if there are signs that the timing belt need replacing, replace it, the oil pump, front crank seal and the water pump. These items are inexpensive and are easily to get at IF YOU ARE ALREADY WORKING IN THAT AREA OF THE ENGINE. Just remind the service mechanic to replace and properly torque the bolt on the end of the crankshaft to factory specs.

You - or your mechanic - can download a complete Samurai Factory Service Manual, which contains all the information to perform this work, for free at Ack's FAQ" (see link in signature, below). From the home page, click "Search" then enter factory service manual to find the Samurai Factory Service Manual.

I hope that this helps!

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
Did you pull the dip stick and examine the oil? If so describe it

I have been wanting a Samurai for the longest time, and finally one came across my path. Is a 1988, Soft top. My problem is that after 2 days of driving it, it started blowing a lot of white smoke from the exhaust.

I did some research, and it looks like I have antifreeze in my oil. I read that normally this is caused by a bad Head Gasket. My questions are:

1. Is my diagnosis correct?

2. Is this something that any certified mechanic can take care of, or should I take it to a Suzuki dealer?

2. How expensive would it be to correct this? (I understand it will vary, but want to know if are talking hundreds or thousands)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Vic

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it is looking like I got screwed. After taking the “just purchased" Samurai to the shop for the head gasket replacement, it was determined that there was a bigger problem, basically it appears that my motor is no good (the block). The head was shaved and inspected, valves adjusted, new timing belt, tensioner, etc. but still there is low (Very low) compression in the two front cylinders. The mechanic commented that there is evidence that someone was “chasing” a problem. The vehicle run, but it has no power, and the mechanic said that the problem will come back if driven like this. The mechanic sent the head back to the machine shop to verify that they “flat”, and they were. Somehow it appears that the block is the one not “true”.
I got too much money into this vehicle already to just let it sit, or get my money back, by selling it (and I will not screw anyone else either). So I need to get it running.
I think these are my alternatives:

1. Find a used motor, and put all the new parts I just bought into it.
2. Buy a rebuilt motor (if they are even available).
3. Try to find a Wrecked vehicle with a good engine.

Of course, any of these options will mean spending more money, which I really do not have.

1. Does anyone know where I can find a a motor, in this area? I am located in Fort Hood, Texas

2. Any ideas? I ‘m not desperate yet, but I’m getting there.

Thanks a lot for any help/advice

Vic

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If the rest of the engine is good then you could consider having the blocked decked.

·
Registered
616 Posts
While there are not many Samurais in the salvage yards - much less Samurais with serviceable engines in the salvage yards, there ARE lots of Geo Metros with the exact 1.3 block just waiting for you to take home! Be sure to find one that has been in an accident - an indication that the engine was running when the car went to the salvage yard... Look for a newer Metro as the older ones had the 1-liter, 3-cylinder engine.

Just strip it down to the block and bolt on the head and accessories from your old engine (some of the Metro accessories will swap too - just not the head...) and you have a replacement engine!

Also, a lot of folks do a 1.6L swap from a Geo Tracker, Suzuki Sidekick (not the Sidekick Sport!) and/or Vitara (which is the same critter for you non-USA folks reading this).

I hope that this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts