Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I resently purchased a 85' Suzuki Santana in Spain. Haven't heard of the Santana name before, but at least thats what it says on the steering wheel, I assume it's SJ 410.

I have a few problems with it. I know a lot of the problems are easy to solve myself, but I'm planning to take it to a garage to make sure it's properly fixed - so I'm trying to get information on exactly what I need to tell the repair guys needs to be done, and what parts I should buy.

1) When engine is cold, It's struggling a little to start, and when it starts it won't maintain a stable RPM and eventually stalls. If I press the gas pedal it will start fine, but when I release it, it will stall after about 10 seconds.
I've read something about cleaning IAC. Can I just replace the IAC since it doesn't appear to be expensive? Could there be other problems causing this?

2) The 4wd shifter was sometimes very hard to move, and eventually got stuck in neutral in the middle of nowhere land. Luckily I had some tools, and unscrewed it, and simply removed it, cleaned a little oil, and reinserted it, and it suddenly got into gear. But I won't touch it again until it's properly checked. I've seen a lot of guides about a bushing/O-ring(?), but that part appeared to be fine. The metal sheet(?) had the "hooks" broken though. I purchased this set: SUZUKI TRANSFER CASE LEVER SHIFTER REBUILD KIT SJ413 SJ410 SAMURAI DROVER SIERRA | eBay - do you think it will be OK if I just get everything replaced?

3) Suddenly the main transmission also started to get very hard to shift at times. Especially 1st, 3rd and reverse. When putting it in reverse it often makes the "CRARHCHKRRKR" sound, like I havent put the clutch in all the way. A few times I couldn't get it into 1st at all. Anyone know what may be the problem? What parts should I try to replace?

4) I have the hard top version, but since It's sunny most of the time I don't bother having it on. But for the days with uncertain weather, I would like to have something simple to put on to protect it from rain. Doesn't need to "100% heavy rain proof" but at least giving a little protection. Any recommendation for a cheap and simple product that can be put on very quick and easy?

What websites do you recommend buying parts from? Right now I just buy from ebay but I guess I won't find everything there.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
I have the hard top version, but since It's sunny most of the time I don't bother having it on. But for the days with uncertain weather, I would like to have something simple to put on to protect it from rain. Doesn't need to "100% heavy rain proof" but at least giving a little protection. Any recommendation for a cheap and simple product that can be put on very quick and easy?
A large trash bag with hole cut for arms and head..

.... Philip

1 - 2 of 2 Posts