Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Looking
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the add.
Devoted Toyota Land Cruiser owner looking for a smaller better mpg 4x vehicle.
Disappointed 1st gen Rav only have 4Hi so I'm looking and learning about the Vitara an actual 4x4.
As it happens, there's one in the local CL. Just looking for now but...
Onward with the education.
Russ in California (northern, way northern!)

·
Registered
USA Spec'ed, Stock 1986 Samurai TinTop
54 Posts
Is the Samurai or Tracker too small for you? (Or old?)
Butch

·
Registered
USA Spec'ed, Stock 1986 Samurai TinTop
54 Posts
Ok... Makes sense... I can't help you much with the Vitara... Good luck in your search...
Butch

·
Administrator
17,793 Posts
The closest Suzuki has, size wise, to an 80 Series is the XL-7 (01~06), 2.7 liter V6, I suspect it'll be less thirsty, but not by much.

Coming from a Land Cruiser to a Suzuki, pretty much any of them, you're going to be dismayed by the lack of after market support, and this is probably going to hold true for any smaller 4WD, perhaps other than a Jeep. If by "actual 4x4" you mean a two speed transfer case, then Suzuki is probably the only manufacturer that has anything in a Rav4 size that will interest you.

For me, the best model of Suzuki is probably a 99~05 Vitara or Grand Vitara - not that much smaller than an 80, a lot less thirsty, and reasonably well supported - the XL-7 is a "stretched" Grand Vitara, but with even less after market support.

·
Administrator
17,793 Posts
I should have mentioned earlier - Chevrolet Trackers (99~05) are essentially a rebadged Vitara, so you can look at those also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts