Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Metro and a variety of other makes.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Ive been a long time zuki owner, two sammy's, a couple of swifts, a sprint turbo, and 4 or 5 metros. Ive never dealt with the later sidekicks and trackers etc. but I may pick up a tracker soon

I have an old spitfire I want to put a zuki engine in. My first thought was to remake my turbo sprints engine as it was about the same power but lighter and more reliable. Unfortunately the g10 is just to light to balance the car in place of the old 325 pound cast iron 4 cyl. Then I found and bought a g16a 16 valve engine from a local guy for cheap. The problem is that he could not remember what vehicle it came from. I did get the harness but no ecu. Im not sure what I have exactly as ive read that the g16a was a carbed or TBI engine and this one is definitely MPFI. Id also like to know what to look out for like the g10's EGR passage as well as what may be improved etc.

Engine says 16 valve on the rocker cover and g16a on the block. S/n G16S128739. its also an MPFI engine not TBI or carb. Ill try to get pics up soon.

TIA, Jon

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
First - there's no way, that I know of, to determine what vehicle an engine came out of, based on the VIN - it's sometimes possible to go the other way, and locate the engine number from the VIN.

That said, MPFI G16a engines do exist, they were common on JDM Escudos, and maybe other vehicles - if you can describe the ignition system (or post pictures), we might be able narrow down the possibilities - distributor with or without an integrated ignition coil, distributorless ignition with coils on the end of the cylinder head, distributorless ignition with coil-on-plug. Another possible identifier is the location of the cooling system thermostat and outlet - is it on the intake manifold or on the back of the cylinder head.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Gas Motor vehicle Machine Automotive tire Auto part
Gas Machine Wood Metal Auto part

Heres a couple of pics. I dont know why i didnt mention ignition setup but its a separate coil with distributor and wires to each plug. T-stat is on the intake.

Thanks for the reply Fordem. Is there anything else that would key this to a specific ecu?

Maybe a better question is: what electronics would be compatible with this block and head combo? I know I'm going to have to ditch the intake or seriously modify it to fit under the spits hood so much of what is there will have to be modified or deleted anyway. I dont mind swapping cams but id prefer not to replace any of the internals aside from wear parts if I can avoid it. It will get a minor overhaul before installation.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
That looks like an OBD I 16v. Did you get the MAP & MAF?

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
Based on the distributor and the radiator hoses it's from a front engined, rear wheel drive vehicle - I'm guessing an early 90's JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) Escudo. If it was a G16b, I'd suggest a Sidekick or a Tracker.

There's no accurate way to know what ECU will work with the engine & harness, but I would be tempted to try an ECU from a manual transmission Sidekick or Tracker with the 16v 1.6 engine from 92~95, and it might be an idea to get it with the matching harness if you can.

The used JDM engines will generally run with the US ECUs, but they will often have different sensors so you might need to do some swapping.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Sorry, I think the MAP was on the OBD II. Here are some pics of my '95 Geo Tracker 16v engine compartment. It's a JDM engine with necessary components switched over.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if it would be worth the trouble to just source a JDM ecu then? Harness will pretty much be a custom job anyway as the spitfire has no electronics, abs etc. Basically its a 60's car even though it was made in'79. It doesnt even have boosted brakes.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Are you saying you have a Triumph Spitfire that was made in 1979???????!!!!!!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Basically its a 60's car even though it was made in'79. It doesnt even have boosted brakes.
To keep authenticity, I would simply put there a carb kit and an 8V dizzie to control spark.... much more in the spirit of the car IMHO... less headaches too...

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
I wonder if it would be worth the trouble to just source a JDM ecu then? Harness will pretty much be a custom job anyway as the spitfire has no electronics, abs etc. Basically its a 60's car even though it was made in'79. It doesnt even have boosted brakes.
Sourcing a JDM ECU is likely to be an exercise in frustration, especially since you're going to be looking for a manual transmission one - how about an aftermarket injection system?

To keep authenticity, I would simply put there a carb kit and an 8V dizzie to control spark.... much more in the spirit of the car IMHO... less headaches too...
A "carb kit" for the 16 valve engine is not going to be that simple - you're probably looking at a custom manifold, and please bear in mind that these manifolds are also a part of the cooling system.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Thanks for the education. I was thinking of the US market. I had a TR3 back in 1970.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ranger88den, mine is a US market car but we got the ugly black rubber bumpers up front and the funky overriders on the rear.

Turboguzzi, One of the main draws of this project is to maintain the original feel of the car but update it in terms of reliabilty and driveabilty so ditching the carbs is one of the goals. I need the car to operate in my local environment which ranges from 2k' asl to 8k' and anywhere from -12° to 115°f. Not that i would drive the spit in the extremes but id do want it to be driveable most of the year.

Fordem, i wanted to avoid tuning an ecu but it does look like that may be the best option. How does the intake play into the cooling system? The spits radiator is getting ditched for an aftermarket all aluminum unit but i dont have any way of knowing how that compares to the g16a's original radiator.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Also had a '69 BSA Thunderbolt & a '70 Triumph Bonneville. Rule Britannia!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice, Ranger! I always wanted a bonneville but havent gotten around to it. I traded my '85 r80 for the spit im building, kinda regret it but kinda dont. The spitfire is an experience all its own.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Always wanted a GT6, but, I live in the rustbelt, they didn't last long here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha, yeah the running joke is that they can rust faster than you can weld. Thankfully im in the high desert so things dont rust much here.

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
Fordem, i wanted to avoid tuning an ecu but it does look like that may be the best option. How does the intake play into the cooling system? The spits radiator is getting ditched for an aftermarket all aluminum unit but i dont have any way of knowing how that compares to the g16a's original radiator.
The coolant flows through the block, into the head, and out through the manifold to the thermostat outlet - on the 16v, I think it's just one port.

One of the questions asked earlier and I don't think I saw an answer was whether or not you had the MAF, if you don't an aftermarket system that doesn't use a MAF (speed/density) might be the way to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Wood Automotive tire Gas Auto part Metal

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Rim

Wood Bedrock Art Artifact Formation

Wood Gas Fixture Font Nut

Finger Gas Electric blue Auto part Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Bicycle part Vehicle brake Wood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Metal Nut

I did not get a maf with it. Ive been playing with the idea of a speeduino but havent done much else on that front. Maybe this is a sign.

Ive been crossing part numbers and so far the egr and tb come back as sidekick w/california emissions. I didnt get a good pic of the iac p/n. Ill have to pull a bracket to get it but its at work so that will ha e to wait until tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts