Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has been a big fan of the Sidekick and Tracker for along time, the first Tracker was 91, 2D 4X4 auto, she put 235K miles on it, but Chicago winters and playing on beach here in Florida it rusted out, got her a 95 Kick 2D 4X4 auto, just it with 45K on it in 2006, still drives it, but she away wanted a 4 door, well she found one, it has 65K and it's a 93 Kick 4D 5SP 4x4, pick it up for $500, it been setting for a year. The owner that we got it from said the alternater was bad and it would not crank, no power. I found that 60amp fuse was bad, put new battery, change all fluids and filters, it start right up, check the alternator, its was bad replace it. It run great, drives great, the only issue is high idle 1500 rpm, still working on this.

The problem is that my wife does not know how to drive a manual (I am in the prosses of teaching her but she does not like it).
Question is can i swap the auto transmisson form the 95 Kick to the 93 Kick and 93 manual transmission to the 95 they both have the 1.6L 16v engines. What else needs to be swapped to make this work, i do all of my own work on all of our vechicle so i not afraid work and this are not our primary vechicles so i am not worried how long this will take. I have grow to like the Sidekicks and want to keep both on the road.

Thanks for the help in advance

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
As you have had Trackicks in the past, hopefully you will sort out your high idle issue - or post exactly what the car does from cold start, for some forum advice. If this is solely a vacuum issue, it is easy enough to pinch the vacuum hoses with a pliers - with the exception of the idle speed solenoid circuit, no hose pinched should affect the idle - if it does, there is a vacuum leak on that circuit, causing your idle.
Regarding the tranny swap, and, of course, this is only my opinion, I hope that your wife gets used to the 5 speed - it is much more fun to drive, gets better gas mileage, is a bit peppier, and also allows you to feel as though you are driving, rather than 'sitting on a couch' and steering - much more fun, IMHO. However, if you need to do the tranny swap, while I believe that the 95 and 93 have the same number of splines, etc., I think that there may be an issue with fitting due to the swap of a 4 door to 2 door, etc., so that mods may be necessary for mounting. Additionally, you will have an ECU problem - the manual ECU will not run the auto tranny, and the auto ECU from the 1993 while possibly starting/running the car will most probably throw and EGR code, as there were EGR sensor changes in 1994, so you may be talking about swapping ECU/harnesses as well
There are loads of posts on the forum about swapping. Hopefully someone else will chime in with actual fittings that may need to be modded.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
If I have read correctly, you are wanting to take the transmission from a two door auto (3 speed) and install it in a 4 door that currently has a 5 speed. And take the left over parts and make the 2 door work with the 5 speed from the 4 door. Am I reading correctly?

That sounds like the hardiest possible solution. It could be done, but I think it would involve a lot of un-necessary work.

You do know that the automatic that is normally installed in the four door is an electronicly controlled 4 speed? (Other than the first 4 doors in 1991.) The 3 speed just didn't move the larger 4 door well enough, so they moved to the 4 speed over drive unit.

The "easiest" solution would be to get the wife to like the 5 speed. But if your wife is like mine... that isn't going to happen. The next easiest solution would be to fix the 4 door enough to sell or trade it for a 4 door auto.

Next on the "easy" list would be to install a non-computer controlled 4 speed. (Say what?) Yes, a non-computer controlled automatic transmission. The same transmission family that includes the stock 4 speed electronic transmission includes some 4 speed versions that do not need a computer and all the associated wiring. One for the donor's is a rear wheel drive Volvo. I was reading a write-up on a Zuk 4x4 forum. Looked a bit and found this.... (not quite what I remember.)
4sp OD MOD Replacement - Zukikrawlers

Hummm... need to research this one a little more as I'd like a four speed in my tin-top project.

Anyway... swapping transmissions (or engines) from one type to another normally leaves the donor vehicle un-usable. Getting it usable again would take more parts and work....

Bottom line: Fix the five speed and sell it. Use the funds to buy a 4 door with an automatic.

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
Hmm...I think you are trying to swap the 4 door 5 speed (95) with the 2 door 3 speed auto (93), no?? Or am I reading this wrong?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take 95 2dr auto and put it in 93 4dr and take the 93 4dr 5sp and put it in the 95 2dr, both are 4x4 and have 1.6L 16v.

Thanks for the info, I hope the wife learns to drive a 5sp

Have not had time to trouble shoot the high idle yet, but i do hear a vacumm leak, i going to try to look at this weekend.

·
Registered
191 Posts
as your doing a direct swap from one to the other yes it is do-able, and not excruciatingly difficult, but you are also going to have to swap the ecu as the manual ecu will not run the automatic trans. I'm also not sure if the plugs going into the ecu are the same or not so you may have to either do so serious soldering or swap harnesses as well. One thing to make sure you double check when you have the trans out.... Right at the top of the bell housing is where the harness runs to the rest of the motor check it and make sure it hasn't rubbed though, would also recommend going a lil overboard insulating it there and finding a way to tie it out of the way to prevent future problems I got lucky when i found mine only had to patch 3 wires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts