Suzuki Forums banner

New member Intro and some questions.

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jcooperpcola 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 2006 Suzuki Forenza yesterday. It has 60,400 miles, and the 2.0L Inline 4 cylinder engine. So far i love it, i have always been a truck guy (my other vehicle is a 1996 GMC 2500 6.5L Turbo Diesel). I never thought i would be so proud to own a car. :cool: Basically, I got into some bad injectors for my diesel from a local dealer and needed something else to drive that got better mpg, so i decided to get a car and use my truck as a weekend toy after i get it fixed.

Couple questions, what mods are available to increase the mpg of the Forenza? I called the Suzuki dealer today to get some answers on maintenance. They said its due for a timing belt. The tranny is good till 100,000 miles. Change the oil every 5000 miles and plugs every 30000 miles. I plan to change the plugs and oil next week. I always use Bosch parts whenever i can get them. Are the Bosch plugs good for this or is there a better plug? What about oil, which oil is best? As for oil filters i only use K&N oil filters. What about a K&N air filter for the Forenza?

Is the timing belt something a home mechanic can do? I have always done my own work on my diesel whenever possible. And is 60,000 too soon to replace it? Next question i have a check engine light that comes on every now and then. I know my belt tensioner is bad, it wont hold steady on the belt and makes noise at idle. Will the belt tensioner trigger a check engine light? And one final question, i have a steering wheel light with exclamation point next to it that is lit up on the dash. What usually causes this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok i think i just figured out why the power steering light is on. There is a plug on a sensor at the top of the power steering pump. It looks like the belt got slung off at one time and it broke the plug off the sensor. Does anybody have a part number for this sensor?

#4 ·
I checked on the parts site and all i can find is a power steering pump. I may try to solder wires onto the sensor so i can get it hooked back up. I appreciate your help.

#5 ·
I would stick to the original plugs for this car (Bosch and will run about $5 a plug). This is just in case you have the valve cover gasket leak. When this sucker leaks, the chambers will be full of oil and any cheap plug won't handle this. I've learned to try to use as many original parts as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.