Suzuki Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Nothing to do with geometry or springs - this is a shock absorber issue. Autocar first reported the issue as the shock absorbers not capable of damping the suspension movement sufficiently. Insufficient damping on bumps etc leads to the suspension quickly reaching a position where the car is on the bump-stops. It's obviously worse with the car fully loaded since the suspension is already compressed and the distance to the bump-stops significantly reduced. The upgrade involves fitting new dampers and bump-stops. Even though the damping action is increased - the normal ride doesn't seem to have been adversely affected.
I want to be with you and understand you but i still disagree..
The car's production spring 19 so i expect the old suspension issues are past and thus having upgraded parts.
It's not at all any matter of shocks and they do not reach bump-stops.
Not still fully loaded car yet..
when pasasing over anomalies of 2-3 cm's still car in the back jumps!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm sure that there are a myriad of options for upgrading springs, shock absorbers etc etc - all this would at a significant cost and certain modifications may well impact on ride comfort. The key thing is that, within the warranty period, deficiencies should be remedied at no cost to the owner. Reports from individuals who have had their cars modified are positive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm sure that there are a myriad of options for upgrading springs, shock absorbers etc etc - all this would at a significant cost and certain modifications may well impact on ride comfort. The key thing is that, within the warranty period, deficiencies should be remedied at no cost to the owner. Reports from individuals who have had their cars modified are positive.
Yes it requires a good searching and pay attention to if and what fitted on it replacing anything on the car.
Still not claimed anything from dealer as under warranty or whatever but i suspect i will be dropped off telling me this is the kind and nature of riding of this car and not raising any problem really.
I have received some quite same info from another local person here for riding issues as described by me and who has been dissapointed too!

Too bad as i really in total like the car but the ride being uncomfortable has been dissapointed !!
But i'll search it....

·
Registered
426 Posts
My kids have been telling me how much ours bangs off certain speed bumps too. The shocks are actually bottoming out.
I have had a word with the Suzuki dealer who is quite willing to do the shox swap. He says another customer had it done and did not like the - and I quote - "jitteriness" that it caused. So much so he asked the existing shox to be put back. Now then, what I need to know is will the beefier shox cause a stiffer rear end and will that in turn make the ride harsher or less compliant.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
answer is .... probably.... A hard ride will result from "stiff" shocks and will make things "skittish" and bouncy, but it all comes down to what you want. Damping rates that are too hard mean the shock won't compress fast enough leading to jolts on bumps, and rebound setting affects the shocks return stroke. Its a compromise at the best of times, soft enough settings for comfort, but solid enough to soak up the big bumps with a load on board.

·
Registered
426 Posts
answer is .... probably.... Damping rates that are too hard mean the shock won't compress fast enough leading to jolts on bumps, and rebound setting affects the shocks return stroke. solid enough to soak up the big bumps with a load on board.
Yes more or less what Suzuki said and I have to decide if I like the ride as it is which suits just two of us 98% of the time. Just need to avoid some of the nastier road nasties.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Yes more or less what Suzuki said and I have to decide if I like the ride as it is which suits just two of us 98% of the time. Just need to avoid some of the nastier road nasties.
thats the issue. is the ride ok now? or is it the occasional bottoming out thats concerning you?
Shocks can make a big difference, all comes down to what sort of ride you want.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well our new shocks are on (red and a blue stripe) and I am definitely noticing a more compliant rear end. I will continue testing.
Sounds good. I would love to know if the rear end is more jittery etc.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well the kids reported that it feels noticeably more comfortable in the back.
The real test will be on a Coastguard shout with two blokes in the back but that might not happen for a while!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Well our new shocks are on (red and a blue stripe) and I am definitely noticing a more compliant rear end. I will continue testing.
Does this diferentiate as regarding the colour stipes?
Should i go to dealer and ask a pair for those for the back shaft?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I assume so; I think it might be more than I thought; the springs next to the struts look new. And the front ones also look new with the same blue and red paint on them.
Hmmm...
I probably ought to call the dealer and find out!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I assume so; I think it might be more than I thought; the springs next to the struts look new. And the front ones also look new with the same blue and red paint on them.
Hmmm...
I probably ought to call the dealer and find out!

Would be happy to drop any info upon available!

·
Registered
172 Posts
From the pictures I've posted - the original shock absorbers and the much larger replacements both had blue and white stripes. Therefore the colour of the stripes doesn't necessarily indicate the type of shock absorber. The old and replacement units are very different visually and have a part number stamped near the eye end which I'll make a note of at some point.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Then what could the stripes color difference indicate then?
not a lot, many manufacturers use the stripes to indicate that they have progresses past a certain stage in manufacturing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Booked mine in for all round shox upgrade early next month. They were willing to do it and no hassle but sort of tried to dissuade me in that they said another customer had it done and didn't like it so had the old stuff put back!. But then told me Ignises from 2018 had these shox as standard!! My thinking is while they are messing if there are any Friday job bits (I had a stripped driveshaft when they changed the auto clutch) it's better off sorted now rather than when I need new shox.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts