Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Ignis has a - sometimes uncomfortable - very soft suspension set-up which plays a lot and rattles/clunks (the shocks probably) over the road's surface abnormalities especially if passing on higher speeds, and causing to shake a lot passengers in the car ending in uncomfortable travelling.

Some times transverse anomalies/holes of the roads end up jumping the whole suspension - obviously must be the shocks - and the suspension seems to produce a sound like it hits like passing over bigger holes you think.

I understand this is caused by the low lightweight car and that the suspension is generally set-up very soft.

IS there way to improve but not messing with the comfort ride sometimes the soft suspension offers?
Shocks absorbers repalcement?
What brand/type suggested?

Car is 2WD /MT dualjet

thanks a lot.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The problem was first reported following tests by Autocar.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/suzuki-ignis-suspension-upgraded-enhance-ride-quality

There was subsequently a recall but Suzuki didn't advertise the fact! - they only responded if you complained to the dealer. The modification is essentially replacing the front and rear shock absorbers + bump-stops with upgraded units - not cheap!. These new units were fitted to production cars from early 2018. Before the upgrade - my car would bang and clatter over bumps when fully laden. It was like driving with the suspension against the bump-stops. The upgrade transforms the car - visually the only difference is that the rear shock absorbers are significantly bigger in diameter than the original puny units.

·
Registered
237 Posts
A Suzuki dealer should be able to check the warranty / service record for the car. Have a quick look at the rear shock absorbers. If they’re around an inch in diameter - the suspension hasn’t been upgraded - the upgraded units are much beefier. When I complained about the suspension bottoming out with the car fully laden, the dealer recognised the problem straight away and ordered the parts. The upgrade is probably £400+ parts and labour so well worth getting done.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Very helpful! Just spoke to Suzuki CS and they were incredibly evasive. It's clear that they are trying to avoid having to shell out where possible. They will only sort them on a "case by case basis."

Waiting for a call back from the dealer to see if they'll sort it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem was first reported following tests by Autocar.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/suzuki-ignis-suspension-upgraded-enhance-ride-quality

There was subsequently a recall but Suzuki didn't advertise the fact! - they only responded if you complained to the dealer. The modification is essentially replacing the front and rear shock absorbers + bump-stops with upgraded units - not cheap!. These new units were fitted to production cars from early 2018. Before the upgrade - my car would bang and clatter over bumps when fully laden. It was like driving with the suspension against the bump-stops. The upgrade transforms the car - visually the only difference is that the rear shock absorbers are significantly bigger in diameter than the original puny units.
Mine's production spring 2019 and the rear shocks seem to have the same view as per photo but the bottom part tube of the absorber i see is arround 4cm diameter and not 2,5 which stated.
Seem to be the upgraded ones?

I haven't yet used car fully laded yet but i notice some clunks/and intense car's shaking even only driver or 3-4 persons..
Actually is a lot lightweight so part of expecting a little due to this?

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
Suzuki Customer Services are programmed to refute complaints, deny the existence of issues with other owners and claim to disregard owners forums etc. Essentially they will only deal with problems and issues via their dealers. Dealers complain that they have difficulty obtaining guidance etc from Suzuki and they will often disregard issues on the basis that it's a characteristic of the car etc etc. In the case of the suspension issue - it's pretty clear cut - the suspension design was upgraded on production cars. When I raised the suspension issue with the dealer - it was obvious that I wasn't the first to complain and they knew exactly what needed to be done.

I can understand that Suzuki won't want to be proactive - potentially 20000+ vehicles are affected. I didn't become aware of the issue for quite some time and it came to light on the rare occasion I drove the car fully laden. For many owners - the issue will never arise. However, being aware of the issue - I 'd be very wary of buying an used 16 / 17 Ignis that hadn't had the suspension upgraded!

I think that if you were to complain - you've got more chance of an upgrade if the complaint centres on the suspension bottoming out, banging over bumps etc. It would probably be difficult if you centred your complaint on the fact that you were aware that an upgrade was available, but that you're not reporting a fault with the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Suzuki Customer Services are programmed to refute complaints, deny the existence of issues with other owners and claim to disregard owners forums etc. Essentially they will only deal with problems and issues via their dealers. Dealers complain that they have difficulty obtaining guidance etc from Suzuki and they will often disregard issues on the basis that it's a characteristic of the car etc etc. In the case of the suspension issue - it's pretty clear cut - the suspension design was upgraded on production cars. When I raised the suspension issue with the dealer - it was obvious that I wasn't the first to complain and they knew exactly what needed to be done.

I can understand that Suzuki won't want to be proactive - potentially 20000+ vehicles are affected. I didn't become aware of the issue for quite some time and it came to light on the rare occasion I drove the car fully laden. For many owners - the issue will never arise. However, being aware of the issue - I 'd be very wary of buying an used 16 / 17 Ignis that hadn't had the suspension upgraded!

I think that if you were to complain - you've got more chance of an upgrade if the complaint centres on the suspension bottoming out, banging over bumps etc. It would probably be difficult if you centred your complaint on the fact that you were aware that an upgrade was available, but that you're not reporting a fault with the car.
I pretty understand you well and i think you're right!
I don't see any problem or issue in the suspension generally in my car, but just is a matter of preferences that the car shakes a lot sometimes.. (not botomming the shocks..).
The handling i find to be reasonably good for this car - not taiolored any issue also..

Surely my "preferences" locate in the fact that the car weighs only 900kg so yes, it shakes more than the 2009 Octavia i have which goes much smoother but which is 1280kg...

I can't compare those 2 of course...
But the suspension in general terms is good.
Had lately a trip of 900km and we can't say the family we got tired or bothered generally.

Then yes - there is no issue really with the car.
This is how it is and it is very good.
And the shocks are the upgraded ones already - stiffer ones.

But i think as per article link, the 4WD were the ones more suffering as the rear suspension with rigid shaft is harder and for rear passengers more uncorfortable than the 2WD..

·
Registered
425 Posts
Fairly grumpy reply to an email to Suzuki UK; it needs checking by a dealer as only certain VINs are affected; surely Suzuki UK should know these VINs more than the dealers?!

Definitely vague and evasive. Not a huge issue, I think it handles pretty well. But if beefier shocks are available, I want them.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think it’s firmish too. It’s a fun little car to drive that’s for sure; I’ve had all sorts of quick cars, the last being a BMW M135i (335d before that) and while this is a lot slower, the way it goes around corners is great fun. Light weight rules for good handling!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would describe the ride as `choppy` and quite firm. Whatever pressures I try in the tyres it doesn`t change so it`s a characteristic of the suspension / shocks.

I had a little Citreon C1 which was light - that was a little firm but did not have that quick bounce which can be a little uncomfortable on bad roads with the Ignis.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is the uprated rear shock absorber. Diameter 39mm. My Ignis is a sz-t - uprated shock absorber may well be different on the AWD model.

Original for comparison

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks guys, mines on the latest shockers too. Reg June 2018

FYI had my tyres rotated a couple thou ago, and have noticed on checking shocks, that the rears now have worn on the inside very significantly (these were the front before rotation) and look illegal to me now.

Anyone else had this problem at the rear? we recently did a long fully laden trip, so maybe I should have inflated harder.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts