Suzuki Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
The new "Mini" is no longer mini at all, its a bloated fat object that bears no resemblance to the real one at all. Same wheelbase as a Land Rover sport in the new mini's. Thats not small by any stretch of the imagination. The old mini tho, comparing that to the Ignis is probably not a bad comparison. Both are fun to drive, great in traffic but as you say, the Ignis allows you to look at other drivers, not their door handles when along side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fully agree with your comments about the "New" Mini and I find the Ignis more fun, more comfortable more practical and much, much more economical really annoying as the Mini was £22k whilst the Ignis was £10k (SZ-T ex-demo showing under 1k miles). I would suggest that the present-day equivalent to the original Mini may be the Aygo/C1/107 family.

Geoff.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My wife drives to London (from Cornwall) roughly once a month in ours and really enjoys it. Absolutely fine on the bigger roads then great once she gets there.
Give it the Swifts 1.0 turbo hybrid engine and it would be all the car I want; just that lack of power that occasionally bugs me. Brakes could be better too.
But overall, it does a lot of things well.
I agree - I seem to always want a bit more oomph regardless - but it goes well enough, so well I am impressed. I did notice the Swift had that bit more guts but interestingly jumping back in to the Ignis I did not miss it. The Celerio had a surprisingly pokey engine too and it was a three pot!!!!
Almost everything from Morrisons to hospitals is around and hour drive away, even for a service it is a 60 minute drive so because the roads are twisty the brakes get well used and I tend to agree they suffer with fade but even so are fine enough. It is noticeable though.
I find when I get in to cities like Lincoln or Grimsby the view is just too low for me. I put it down to narrow narrow streets and way too much parking. I never felt this claustrophobic in the Celerio (didn't have the Ignis then) in Brum - yet it is the same size car - and it is definitely to do with street widths which if course, in theory, small cars should deal with better. It might be because the Ignises windows are smaller which made the Celerio's all round visibility better.
I know it is supposedly a city car but IMHO it is better on the open road. We went to Coventry a while back, almost a four hour drive. The roads to get there were handled nicely but in the backstreets of Coventry I liked it less.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Here's something that I noticed today.

Pulling away first thing this morning, from a parking area with fairly chunky gravel, I felt that the Ignis was crabbing again. I stopped and switched off the traction control and the problem was gone. I went back and forwards trying to recreate the judder, but couldn't. I think that the TC might just be a bit over-sensitive.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Here's something that I noticed today.

Pulling away first thing this morning, from a parking area with fairly chunky gravel, I felt that the Ignis was crabbing again. I stopped and switched off the traction control and the problem was gone. I went back and forwards trying to recreate the judder, but couldn't. I think that the TC might just be a bit over-sensitive.
Sounds likely.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ive always thought that theTC was slow to operate because my wheels seem to spin up quite easily on tarmac fast take offs

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
ive always thought that theTC was slow to operate because my wheels seem to spin up quite easily on tarmac fast take offs
if you spin both wheels then the TC will take longer to decide they are actually spinning and you're not moving like you should be. Spin one however and the TC will bite pretty quickly.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts