Suzuki Forums banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Banned
507 Posts
Interesting stuff.
I feel 195 is just a bit much but 185/55 does widen the choice a lot.

·
Registered
517 Posts
That is a great pic.
My view is that the car needs height and plenty of sidewall not only in height but in width to give more protection to the alloys such as when running over rocks or by kerbs.
Loads put oversize tyres on the Pajero wheel which in the Mk2 is a 15" rim.
I am just saving up now to try for the BIG tyres. lol

Reactions: Kernowlad

·
Read Only
329 Posts
... and note that's on a wider wheel.

In fact in Japan you can go wider again up to 195/50 on a 6" wheel:

View attachment 95434
With new wheels - the sky is the limit - there are plenty of 16 or even 17 inch wheels (with 4 bolt fitting) available for the Ignis in 6 and 6.5J suitable for 195 width tyres. The Dezent catalogue is usually pretty accurate with regard to wheels that will physically fit without issue and on the website DEZENT Leichtmetallräder - Alufelgen für jede Situation there is a 3D configurator where you can see various wheels on various colours of Ignis.

However I wouldn't be to sure about increasing the diameter of the wheel combination by using high profile tyres. There's limited clearance on the front wheels and fitting a larger diameter combination will affect the gearing and cause the speedo to under read.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I actually rather like the Ignis wheels. They are also 44535765 times easier to wash than my hateful old Subaru Outback wheels.

I reckon they’re reasonably strong too; can’t stand fragile, spindly alloys.

Anyone know the combined wheel/tyre weight? I’m guessing it’s nice and low.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If 185’s were an option in the Michelin CrossClimate + I would have gone that route, but it wasn’t an option. As nobody else had tried, I gave it a go and I’m more than happy. No fouling, no crabbing, less noise, excellent grip, looks more 4x4 than skinny eco tyre, protects the rim better, better in most weather conditions, makes the speedo more accurate (checked with both GPS and measured mile). Just wish I could find better advise for tyre pressures than just ‘guessing’. When or if somebody brings out a good all season tyre in the correct size I will have a look. But as there is only one ‘branded’ tyre in the correct size, the Bridgestones, and seemingly no interest in increasing that range as that size is hardly used by any other car, you will all have the difficult decision, Bridgestone, or some lesser known Chinese tyre? If I were an insurance company, I would have more of an issue with a cheap Chinese tyre than a Michelin.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Having had CrossClimates before, I know how brilliant they are.
The “best” option in the exact size seems to be Falkens but still fairly mid range.
I just couldn’t buy Nankangs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So far, my Nangkangs have been good.

As it happens, I put a set of CrossClimate+ on my Audi today so I'll (in a kind of way) be able to compare them.

·
Banned
507 Posts
They were so good on my Subaru.
Goodyear Vectors on the van; also very good.

·
Registered
517 Posts
But as there is only one ‘branded’ tyre in the correct size, the Bridgestones, and seemingly no interest in increasing that range as that size is hardly used by any other car,
All that is stopping me from going to a 6" rim and a wider tyre at the moment is the cost. I like the alloys on my Ignis and they should have 10 years of life in them. I think the current tyres will last the lifetime of the car. I cannot be bothered with selling on the current kit rather than let them clutter up the yard so on the car they will stay.

·
Banned
507 Posts
All that is stopping me from going to a 6" rim and a wider tyre at the moment is the cost. I like the alloys on my Ignis and they should have 10 years of life in them. I think the current tyres will last the lifetime of the car. I cannot be bothered with selling on the current kit rather than let them clutter up the yard so on the car they will stay.
I really disliked the wheels on my Subaru (16") but I'd put decent tyres on them and the nicer option was 17" meaning £600 of tyres would be wasted. So I just left them on and I'm very glad I did - the car engine died and I got a painful £320 for the whole car!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I really disliked the wheels on my Subaru (16") but I'd put decent tyres on them and the nicer option was 17" meaning £600 of tyres would be wasted. So I just left them on and I'm very glad I did - the car engine died and I got a painful £320 for the whole car!!
Yes I have a similar dilemma with my Pajeros though with one I did take the leap. This one I am waiting till the chrome alloys finally go mouldy - they do not survive well in this country and are showing corrosion now which is too much trouble to keep on at - or the tyres just get finally worn out (and they are about 50% gone!).

·
Banned
507 Posts
Yes I have a similar dilemma with my Pajeros though with one I did take the leap. This one I am waiting till the chrome alloys finally go mouldy - they do not survive well in this country and are showing corrosion now which is too much trouble to keep on at - or the tyres just get finally worn out (and they are about 50% gone!).
I'm constantly rinsing mine (and on the van) - a stiff Westerley or NW wind and our entire house and cars get plastered in salt blown off the sea.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm constantly rinsing mine (and on the van) - a stiff Westerley or NW wind and our entire house and cars get plastered in salt blown off the sea.
Trouble is that most of my alloys have been on cars for 20 years so they are bound to to corrode. I had a Cherokee with alloys I junked and got some really wide steels from the US - they were cheap enough but the import wasn't! At least with steels a few scratches won't hurt...........sort of. lol

·
Banned
507 Posts
Trouble is that most of my alloys have been on cars for 20 years so they are bound to to corrode. I had a Cherokee with alloys I junked and got some really wide steels from the US - they were cheap enough but the import wasn't! At least with steels a few scratches won't hurt...........sort of. lol
I'd like get some for the van but they're hard to find in decent nick. Luckily the alloys on it are fairly simple and robust. Fussy alloys drive me mad! Our old BMW 335d had about 20 spoke alloys; absolute nightmare to clean! At least they were the smallest available 17" alloys (that clear the brakes) - most have 18s or 19s that have a habit of cracking. And weight far more. Big wheel fashion is just daft!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I spray my wheels and discs with a diluted solution of Bilt Hamber Atom-Mac, one of only two corrosion protection products that I know of which are safe on discs.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I spray my wheels and discs with a diluted solution of Bilt Hamber Atom-Mac, one of only two corrosion protection products that I know of which are safe on discs.
It is worth having something like that in the armoury but regarding my 20 year old Pajero ones it comes too late for and the Ignis ones are keeping nicely clean normally.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To be fair it’s not much tighter than the standards when on. I’m more than happy there is sufficient clearance.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts