Suzuki Forums banner

81 - 100 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, so far I’m really pleased, but they do look a bit too oversized for the rim. However not silly oversized and if anything, make it look more 4x4. However, I still can’t sing the praises of snow socks enough to keep in the boot. I’ve got off snow covered tracks whee my friend in his Disco 4 had to be recovered by a farmer and tractor.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Yes, so far I’m really pleased, but they do look a bit too oversized for the rim. However not silly oversized and if anything, make it look more 4x4. However, I still can’t sing the praises of snow socks enough to keep in the boot. I’ve got off snow covered tracks whee my friend in his Disco 4 had to be recovered by a farmer and tractor.
I have to admit, i saw them and thought "what???" but having seen them in action they do work well. We mainly still use chains here due to the conditions (deep snow and ice on our mountain passes), but snow socks are certainly a viable alternative. Shame our roading guys won't let you use them instead of chains.

Old rule of 4x4 trips here, take a Landrover and a Suzuki, Use the Landy's weight to flatten the track, and then when the Landy breaks down or gets stuck, you can always go get help in the Suzuki

·
Registered
265 Posts
I towed two big vans up hills in snow with my old Subaru Outback on Crossclimates. Plus a Hymer (4 tonnes) stuck in deep sand.
A bit ambitious for an Ignis but a real win for the tyres.

Is insurance okay with them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Haven’t asked this time, but when I asked for my old car (Alto) for winter wheels and tyres, they had no issues as long as the tyre was of equal to or better spec.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pieman - not heard of that before. great to hear the michelin cc worked out well. id be interested in going that route in future. were there 185/55/16's to be had, or was the closest size 195/. 1mpg diff negligible. and no fouling at full lock/ - I would have thought they would have. thats definitely food for thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
185’s were not an option either, but if you google tyre sizes, the 195’s were the nearest in rolling circumference and using GPS speedo have now made the speedo more accurate,
Only reading 1mph at 40 instead of 3. It doesn’t foul at all on full lock but it’s still quite close to the strut at the front (but if you look at standard it is too). My only issue so far is nobody can tell me the best tyre pressure, so I’ve reduced it a couple of psi all round. That may account for the drop in mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently fitted Falken AS200s to my Ignis 2018 model year,. These tyres have actually been replaced with a newer version called the AS210 now but they don't do those in the Ignis standard size. Anyway, I feel they have better grip and a more pleasant lower frequency sound on the motorway. They feel softer than the standard fit tyres when bumping up kerbs or hitting potholes and they don't crab. They also feel stable and were very good at around freezing temp recently as well as perfectly stable and grippy in the wet. I was worried about the mediocre reviews but these are subjectively good tyres.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Talking of potholes, has anybody approached their dealer about the retrofit suspension upgrade to alleviate the bashing and bottoming out when carrying passengers? I’ve asked today and am waiting for a reply and any costs involved if not covered under warranty. Seems modified shocks and bump stops are available.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Talking of potholes, has anybody approached their dealer about the retrofit suspension upgrade to alleviate the bashing and bottoming out when carrying passengers? I’ve asked today and am waiting for a reply and any costs involved if not covered under warranty. Seems modified shocks and bump stops are available.
Autocar highlighted the suspension issue in early 2018 and Suzuki uprated the suspension of new Ignis models from around this time. A retrofit is available for earlier models but is on the basis of individual complaints to dealers rather than a mass recall. I've previously posted photos of the old and new rear shock absorbers - so it's easy to identify if the suspension is the upgraded version. The upgrade is covered by the new car warranty and consists of new front and rear shock absorbers and new bump stops - not a cheap job several hundred pounds of parts and labour I'd guess. Makes a huge difference to the car when laden without compromising ride quality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Autocar highlighted the suspension issue in early 2018 and Suzuki uprated the suspension of new Ignis models from around this time. A retrofit is available for earlier models but is on the basis of individual complaints to dealers rather than a mass recall. I've previously posted photos of the old and new rear shock absorbers - so it's easy to identify if the suspension is the upgraded version. The upgrade is covered by the new car warranty and consists of new front and rear shock absorbers and new bump stops - not a cheap job several hundred pounds of parts and labour I'd guess. Makes a huge difference to the car when laden without compromising ride quality.
Sounds like a worthwhile complaint/claim. Got mine going in next month👍

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had ours done but the dealer (who’d not even heard of the issue) had to fight for Suzuki to pay for it. They will definitely resist at all costs!
Big improvement though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
185’s were not an option either, but if you google tyre sizes, the 195’s were the nearest in rolling circumference and using GPS speedo have now made the speedo more accurate,
Only reading 1mph at 40 instead of 3. It doesn’t foul at all on full lock but it’s still quite close to the strut at the front (but if you look at standard it is too).
Yes - very close:

·
Registered
164 Posts
For safety a 5J wheel will take a maximum tyre width of 185 on a low profile and some insurance companies would have something to say about fitting even wider tyres. However it does prove the point that there's adequate clearance for wider tyres on the original 5J wheels. To date - owners have fitted a variety of tyre brands in summer and all season versions together with wider tyres and all seem to have eliminated the crabbing issue with the original tyres. Despite complaints to dealers etc etc - Suzuki continue to deny that there's an issue with suitability of Bridgestone Ecopia tyres on the Ignis and new cars continue to be fitted with these tyres!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know if I would consider crabbing while manoeuvring to be a problem that would make the tyres "unsuitable", the car still manoeuvres fine, it just sounds and feels nasty. I guess Suzuki has a contract to buy them and since there's no safety or usability issue then they don't consider it a deal breaker. A less economy focused brand might not accept it. Personally, I changed my tyres to all seasons mainly because I wanted a bit more cold weather capability rather than because I was otherwise unhappy with the performance of the ecopias, I felt their performance was on par with the rest of the components i.e. not very high, but that seems in line with the price and intended use case for the vehicle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think you've summed it up - "it just sounds and feels nasty". When you're due new tyres - there are many options for replacing tyres with ones that don't crab and in many cases, at a cost considerably less that Ecopia 150's.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bridgestones are rubbish; I’ve had a few, always OEM on new cars. All have been poor.
I’ll probably run the Ecopias until they wear out more but I’m not using the same as replacements.
The unique sizing is an issue; it’s annoying having so little tyre choice.

81 - 100 of 148 Posts