Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Wifes car is nearly 3 years old and needing front tyres.
Currently has Bridgestone Ecopia Ep15- and suffers with the scrabbing when turning.

Looking online seems like we have a choice of Bridgestone, Yokahama or cheapy own brand tryes for the ignis. Not much choice!

Anyone has Bridgestone B250 on their car?

cheers

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can’t see that there would be much difference between the two Ecopia tyres - if anything, the 250 is inferior in some respects and both are ridiculously expensive. Bridgestone and Yokohama are the only premium tyres in 175 60 16 available in Europe - but there’s a fair selection of mid range tyres. Only a couple of these are available in the Uk so for the full range you need to look at internet sellers based outside the Uk. tyreleader.co.uk probably have the best selection at the best prices and you can have the tyres delivered to and fitted by a local dealer.

Unfortunately there’s no guarantee that other tyres won’t crab when turning but there’s a much better chance if you go for an all season tyre which has a softer sidewall. Both Nankang and Falken do an all season tyre - the latter is a Japanese company -part of Summitomo. There have been positive reports on this forum from a member who has fitted Nankang all-season tyres.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can’t see that there would be much difference between the two Ecopia tyres - if anything, the 250 is inferior in some respects and both are ridiculously expensive. Bridgestone and Yokohama are the only premium tyres in 175 60 16 available in Europe - but there’s a fair selection of mid range tyres. Only a couple of these are available in the Uk so for the full range you need to look at internet sellers based outside the Uk. tyreleader.co.uk probably have the best selection at the best prices and you can have the tyres delivered to and fitted by a local dealer.

Unfortunately there’s no guarantee that other tyres won’t crab when turning but there’s a much better chance if you go for an all season tyre which has a softer sidewall. Both Nankang and Falken do an all season tyre - the latter is a Japanese company -part of Summitomo. There have been positive reports on this forum from a member who has fitted Nankang all-season tyres.
Thanks for your help, Thinking i was going crazy, as only Bridgestone and Yoka were coming up in searches !

·
Registered
163 Posts
It will be interesting to see if the Yokahamas are better than Ecopias in respect of crabbing when turning. I suspect that they will be, since the Ecopias have stiff walls to reduce rolling resistance and hence match up to their claimed eco benefits. It's interesting to see that there are loads of ex demo (previously mounted but not driven) Ecopia 150's on the market for around £30 each! It would be interesting to know the background since this size if fairly unique to the new Ignis!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will be interesting to see if the Yokahamas are better than Ecopias in respect of crabbing when turning. I suspect that they will be, since the Ecopias have stiff walls to reduce rolling resistance and hence match up to their claimed eco benefits. It's interesting to see that there are loads of ex demo (previously mounted but not driven) Ecopia 150's on the market for around £30 each! It would be interesting to know the background since this size if fairly unique to the new Ignis!

Too true - we are going to go with the Yokas. Will let you know how it goes.

Re limited tyre options, i had a 2008 swift sport around 2010, and hit a pothole, wrecked wheel and Tyre.
At the time there was only 1 Tyre available and everywhere was a 2 week wait.
Sold the car soon after. Shame was a lovely car

seems suzuki have a habit on using odd sizes

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's not the wheel diameter that's a problem - 16 inch wheels are probably one of the most common size. The issue is the tyre size that Suzuki specify for the car - 175 60 16 is an odd size in the UK so UK tyre depots will have a very limited choice of tyres. If you look at https://www.wheel-size.com/tire/175/60R16/ you'll see the cars that use this size of tyre. Disregard the Mini since these use a special run-flat tyres. Some other cars shown are not available in the UK so it's only the Ignis and some models of the Toyota IQ that use 175 60 16 as OE. Hence the problem of tyre availability. Hopefully the situation will improve with time with an increasing number of Ignis cars on the road.

The fact that the Ignis has a narrow 5J wheel means that you're very limited in changing tyre size so if you want to do something significant - then it's new wheels!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, had the Yokohamas fitted at the weekend, and on the first cold morning (5c) no crabbing of the front tyres when reversing out the drive -- Result!

Overall happy with them so far. Not had much wet driving yet though.

:)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well, had the Yokohamas fitted at the weekend, and on the first cold morning (5c) no crabbing of the front tyres when reversing out the drive -- Result!

Overall happy with them so far. Not had much wet driving yet though.

:)
Just remind us, what size did you fit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
And a good price too - around 25% more expensive at other outlets eg Halfords. As a matter of interest - how many miles did you get out of the original tyres? Presumably you rotated them to equalise wear?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I do wish more would do All Season tyres - I'm just not convinced with the Nankangs or Falkens which get pretty mixed reviews. If Michelin did a CrossClimate or Goodyear did a Vector in the right size I'd buy them tomorrow. Or Nokian. Or Vredestein. An AllGrip is crying out for decent All Weather tyres but they just aren't available!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Forum members have replaced the original Bridgestone Ecopia tyres with Yokahama tyres and Nankang AW6 all-season tyres. The feedback in both cases is an improvement on the original tyres and in particular an improvement / elimination of crabbing / scrabbling which is an issue with the Ecopias.

I've just fitted a set of Falken AS200 tyres to my Ignis. These are about the same price as the Nankang AW6 and have the same efficiency and wet grip rating. I'm very pleased - the Falkens are far superior to the Ecopias - even with temperatures around 4C, it's not possible to get the the tyres to crab. Furthermore they performed far better than the Ecopias in a few inches of soft snow today.

Unfortunately there are only about three 16 inch tyres available for the Ignis in the UK and there no all-season tyres sold in the UK. I ordered my tyres on the Pneus website - delivered from Germany in four days. I got mine fitted independently, but if you wish, Pneus will ship directly to a local fitting partner.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There's a huge variation between reports on tyre comparison sites and also there's variation between cars - some tyres are well suited to a particular model and not to another. I don't see (or should that be hear) much difference in noise between the Falkens and the Ecopias - I wouldn't expect to see much difference given there's very little dB difference in their performance specifications. In terms of efficiency the Ecopia is rated C and the Falkens E - so for the average driver at 12000 miles/yr the additional fuel cost will be around £100 per year - largely offset by the difference in prices of the two tyres. I'm happy with the performance of the Falkens but one needs to recognise that all-season tyres are a compromise - they won't be as good as a good summer tyre in summer or a good winter tyre in winter. Because of where I live - I've had summer and winter tyres on other vehicles previously including 4x4's. Quite honestly, this was a pain in the neck in having to do wheel changes and storing wheels. A couple of times I changed to the winter tyres too early and the weather stayed quite mild for a month - the wear on the tyres during this short period was quite staggering. Hopefully I'll get a fair amount of the benefits and none of the hassle with all-season tyres.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I’m totally sold on All Seasons; I’ve got them on the VW van and had them on the Subaru. Full Winters aren’t needed down here, when I did fit some, I hated them!
That sounds pretty good; they are the ones I’d get. I’ll see if I can find any!

1 - 20 of 147 Posts