Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 96 Jimny (JA 22) from Japan. The first thing I want to do is lift it, preferably with coil spacers.

Here’s my issue. I cannot figure out anything about the JA 22 suspension. Every lift seems to only fit the samurai/SJ up to year 95, and then every other lift seems to only fit 98+. It’s like the 96 and 97 Jimny don’t exist. I’ve tried to do research on this matter and all I can find is in 96 they switched to the “coily suspension”

Can someone explain this to me I’ve looked everywhere and can’t seem to find answers. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
The only thing a JA22 shares in common with the SJ & Samurais is the Suzuki name and the S badge on the front - it's a completely different vehicle.

You need to do your research in markets where the vehicle you're trying to modify was sold - the JA22, as far as I know, was built for the Japanese Domestic Market, and like most JDM vehicles, there's very little information available about them.

Try including JA22 in your search strings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing a JA22 shares in common with the SJ & Samurais is the Suzuki name and the S badge on the front - it's a completely different vehicle.

You need to do your research in markets where the vehicle you're trying to modify was sold - the JA22, as far as I know, was built for the Japanese Domestic Market, and like most JDM vehicles, there's very little information available about them.

Try including JA22 in your search strings.
I have been searching with the JA 22 moniker but have found so little info on it. I basically need to know what suspension parts to look for, or does it share in common with? I'm wondering if the 98+ shares the same suspension. I'm really confused on this and google has been of very little help unfortunately.

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
The 98~2018 Jimnys are the SN series, SN413/SN415, they are bigger, longer, wider & heavier than the JA series vehicles, the suspension is similar from the point of view that they are both live axle, coil sprung, radius arm designs, but that is where it ends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 98~2018 Jimnys are the SN series, SN413/SN415, they are bigger, longer, wider & heavier than the JA series vehicles, the suspension is similar from the point of view that they are both live axle, coil sprung, radius arm designs, but that is where it ends.
Hmm. So would coil spacers made for a SN414/415 work for the JA22?

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
That's a question I can't answer - I've never attempted to fit SN series coil spacers to a JA22 -

Go measure the diameter of the coils on your JA22, then contact the manufacturer of the coil spacers and ask them for the inner & outer diameters of their spacers and then compare the two.

I need you to understand that you're going to have to get very involved with any/every modification/repair you make on this vehicle, as an example, when you lift the vehicle, it's going to reduce the caster angle on the front suspension, which may or may not lead to steering instability, on vehicles with this type of radius arm suspension, the fix is to install caster correction bushes, which you're going to have to source yourself, in pretty much the same way as you're sourcing your spacers - by figuring out who makes something that might work, and then trying it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a question I can't answer - I've never attempted to fit SN series coil spacers to a JA22 -

Go measure the diameter of the coils on your JA22, then contact the manufacturer of the coil spacers and ask them for the inner & outer diameters of their spacers and then compare the two.

I need you to understand that you're going to have to get very involved with any/every modification/repair you make on this vehicle, as an example, when you lift the vehicle, it's going to reduce the caster angle on the front suspension, which may or may not lead to steering instability, on vehicles with this type of radius arm suspension, the fix is to install caster correction bushes, which you're going to have to source yourself, in pretty much the same way as you're sourcing your spacers - by figuring out who makes something that might work, and then trying it.
I see. Thank you for your help. I have found a website that allows you to have access to yahoo auctions in Japan which is basically their version of ebay. My best bet from what I can see is find the parts there and then figure out international shipping. I have not received my vehicle yet from the port so it potentially wont need a lift. It has after market shocks and looks a little higher than stock from the pictures. I guess we will find out soon enough!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Pretty good site for hard to find stuff for the ja12/ja22. I did a quick search for some lift kits looks like they have a few. Fyi you have to create a log in and once that happens if you're going to use the PayPal option they have to approve it and that takes a few days.

I ordered an aftermarket rear spoiler for my 1997 Ja12v (coily) took about 3weeks to ship from Japan to AZ, US.

Hope this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts