Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here.

I have a 87 sami.
The sealed beams work fine. I bought a hid kit 35w 4300k and IPF H4 housings. It did not light up but the hi-beam switch worked. Everything is new.

Do I need the relay that uses direct battery power to light the HID even though they're only 35w?

The HID kits balasts or amps only plugs into one side of the original harness socket, I guess it is just for the triggering it to go on/off and hi beam.

I've seen two reccommended relay harness one from a northwest co. and the other from IPF.. Will getting one of these solve my problem or is it simpler like a different harness and not relays?

·
Super Moderator
12,166 Posts
From the sound of it, you bought the wrong HID kit - send it back - and get yourself a set of good H4 bulbs (I like Sylvania SilverStar Ultras) and the IPF relay kit - HID lamps in H4 fixtures don't work very well, and are illegal in most countries - with an '87 Samurai, I'd guess you're in the US - HID retrofits are illegal in the US.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is for offroading only. I got the H4-3(9003) bulb. So basically I need the relay harness if upgrading to anything vs the sealed beam correct?
I figured it would work because it is 35w.

On a side note. I bought trucklite leds and they didn't work either. The odd thing was the aluminum housing would conduct electricity and the light would be slightly on even though the light switch was turned off. Maybe a knock off truck light I don't know here is a pic of them and the box.

·
Super Moderator
12,166 Posts
The relay harnesses serve two purposes - first is they allow you to use lamps with a higher power rating (higher amp draw) than the stock wiring can accomodate, and the second is that they allow stock lamps to be used with heavier gauge wiring than stock, so that there is reduced voltage drop and increased light output - since the HIDs have a lower amp draw than the stock lamps, the stock wiring will be adequate, and it's unlikely that either relay harness will solve your problem.

You may have purchased an HID kit intended to fit the lamps you purchased, which may not necessarily match the existing wiring in the vehicle - contact the HID kit supplier for assistance.

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I found out one problem was that my negative ground was not good.
So I put the negative to the battery and got one light to light up. the other I could not get a ground to. I swapped bulbs and they're both good..
So I go to the auto store buy wire and crimper- $27 total..:( Only to find that it does not work again. I did the same thing I did last time to get at least one HID to light up and it didn't light up.. :huh:
So I guess I'm gonna return them. It was an awesome feeling getting one bulb to light up now I don't know what is going on. No fuse is burnt out either. Very odd..

On a side note, I found there are LED H4 bulbs but they don't have a hi-beam as far as I can tell..

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you are going to drive it on the street, please keep it legal and stay away from the HIDs.

The best advice is to make or buy the headlight harness from nwautowire, and install either Sylvania's Silverstar or Xtravision headlights. I did the mod and installed the Xtravisions, and have been very satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might just buy a standard h4 bulb in it for now.
I don't use this truck much but the lights gotta go. It still has the sealed beams on it.

Thinking about going with a IPF fat boy 2 bulb.:)

·
Super Moderator
12,166 Posts
Well, I found out one problem was that my negative ground was not good.
There is no "negative ground" per se with the Suzuki headlights - this is what Haptown was telling you in his post...

Samurai's headlights use a switched ground power connection. Use of anything besides the oem stock lights is not going to work very well if at all.
There are ways to make it work, but, I'd say you're better off with a stock system.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I got some Anzo headlamp assemblies from Jeggs through ebay, I think they were like $18 each and some Osram Nightbreakers also from Ebay. The combination is quite bright, no boy racer shades of blue or purple, just usable bright light that is DOT legal and projects as it should. I may convert my offroad lights to HID at some point to see how it works.

As stated, placing HID bulbs in an assembly designed for halogen bulbs is obscenely bright and blinding to oncoming traffic. It's not DOT legal and many officers know it when they see it, that aside from the obvious safety hazard they create when people get blinded.

Im really happy with my combination, its plenty for the dark country roads I live on and drive on. I believe its a helluva lot of bang for the buck and very little risk of getting razzed by cops. Dont forget to do the headlight relay modification!!

Tony

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got my IPF housings in. I happen to figure out what was wrong with the HID kit with correspondence with the company, they sent me a video. I had the polarity reversed when plugged into the ballasts. That is why the first time one light was on and one was not. Then I took the ballast out and put it in wrong so both were out.

I got the vvme brand dual beam. I adjusted the housing all the way down till it could go no further. I noticed that only 50% or the upper half is lit because it is dual beam with a shroud for hibeam. It looks similar to the new style trucklites.

I'm impressed with them. I think I will just use standard H4 bulbs and HIDs as offroad back ups because I don't want to spend money to return them. I used to have KCs by the mirrors but I wanted to make it look more like the ICON cj3b so I took them off and bought the trucklites off ebay. Only to find a weird ground with the housing when touching the light bucket. (maybe knock off trucklite).

Anyhow, very impressed with the HID kit for $60 shipped. I would like to go with trucklites or the IPF system also. So many cool light options. I guess I need to get a good job so I can buy another truck to play with. I've been thinking of getting one of those old diesel g wagons but it needs to be 25 years old to import. I've seen them for sale for $12-$15k. They even make a convertible version kinda like a sami. I've seen a few around but mostly two door hardtop versions. I found a cool pic of a g wagon with trucklites. I need a old g wagon for a daily driver. I just ride a motorcycle because of gas. :)

I'm in Southern California by the beach.:cool: Most HID kits in SUV and motorcycles are usually bought in blue maybe because they're not as bright. I don't think they get tickets for them here but those are not as bright as the 4300k for sure.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts