Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO ALL, I am new to this forum and to Suzuki trucks. I have had a few Suzuki motorcycles. So I have alot of technical car experience building and restoring vintage german and british cars but not much in 4x4's. I do have a very good understanding of 4 wheel drive systems and components from working with Jeep and from working on, collecting and building RC trucks and rock crawlers. I also will say that I have always liked Suzuki products. They are like Japanese VW's well to me anyway.

I just picked up a 1988 Samurai soft top with 64000 miles. It has the following mods that I know of(i did not get much info from the PO).
Spring over axle
Z link
3" body lift
4" suspension lift
31" tires
Diamond plate front steel buper
Tubular steel rear bumper
Front and rear hitches
Drive shafts extenders
Power Steering

So everything seems to work well. It runs very good has great power for the size of the motor and runs smooth.
It has a bad front end shimmy...steering wheel just wobbles pretty bad.

The diff housings have a small rubber hose coming out the top that goes no where?? What is that??? Is this a vent? A line for vaccume line for lockers?

Any info about this truck would be helpfull.

Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
HELLO ALL, I am new to this forum and to Suzuki trucks. I have had a few Suzuki motorcycles. So I have alot of technical car experience building and restoring vintage german and british cars but not much in 4x4's. I do have a very good understanding of 4 wheel drive systems and components from working with Jeep and from working on, collecting and building RC trucks and rock crawlers. I also will say that I have always liked Suzuki products. They are like Japanese VW's well to me anyway.

I just picked up a 1988 Samurai soft top with 64000 miles. It has the following mods that I know of(i did not get much info from the PO).
Spring over axle
Z link
3" body lift
4" suspension lift
31" tires
Diamond plate front steel buper
Tubular steel rear bumper
Front and rear hitches
Drive shafts extenders
Power Steering

So everything seems to work well. It runs very good has great power for the size of the motor and runs smooth.
It has a bad front end shimmy...steering wheel just wobbles pretty bad.

The diff housings have a small rubber hose coming out the top that goes no where?? What is that??? Is this a vent? A line for vaccume line for lockers?

Any info about this truck would be helpfull.

Thanks
Some of that steering shimmy might be caused by bumpsteer as you mentioned you had a Z-link style draglink. See the following article at Ack's FAQ:

Ack's FAQ: Your 4X4 Portal To All Things Suzuki/Geo

Do a search for bumpsteer at Ack's FAQ for links to bumpsteer solutions, too.

Check to see if the differential input flange on the front axle is parallel to the front output flange on the transfer case. You can use a magnetic angle locator - available at most hardware stores along with Home Depot and Lowes.

The angles should be exactly the same on both flanges. If not, you probably have an out-of-spec. Caster angle that will cause steering problems. The PO created this problem not being aware that pointing the differential upwards to the transfer case changes the front axle's caster angle AND creates driveshaft vibrations. Do a search for driveshaft for several articles including Driveline Basics with Steve Johnson and Tom Wood's Driveline Geometry 101.

Even though Consumer's Reports accusations that Samurais are unsafe are so much BS (a whole 'nother topic), It is always a sensible idea to keep any modified vehicle's center of Gravity as low as possible. That said, you might consider removing the 3 inch body lift. I have a 4.5" SPOA and run 30-inch BFG ATs with no clearance problems. Perhaps the PO had larger tires on the truck before he sold it to you... if you like the 31s, removing the body lift would be a good idea.

Use the Ack's FAQ Search engine for more useful maintenence and modding information! The direct link to Ack's FAQ is in my signature, below!

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
201 Posts
that would most likely be diff breather extensions. does it go to a higher point in the car? if so, theyre there to keep mud, dust, water, and pretty much everything else out of the diffs while still letting air in and out. without these all that crap gets in and mixes with the oil...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great. Thanks for the replies. Ok so I have done some measuring on the truck and have come to some conclusions on the geometry of the suspension. Thanks to you responses. Thanks on the breathers as well I have drained the diffs and extended the breathers.
My springs seem to sit level. I am thinking that they should be replaced. I am aslo going to replace the bushings on all the components. I will be putting a new clutch in as well. I ordered a header system for the exhaust.
The body is headed for our paint booth next week for a moss green respray. I am going to dynamat the whole interior and then add a new carpert set. I also picked up two winches for the front and rear. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts