Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I have changed out my 95 4x4 1.6 litre 16 valve's exhaust header for a Doug Thorley stainless steel header and jesus pogo stick jumping bunny rabbits it has a power increase.
weird thing was I changed the header out because I had an exhaust leak and it was causing the car not to go and cause it to die out due to not enough back pressure or SOMETHING, anyways replaced the header and forgot the damned O ring between the header and catalytic and it kinda has that problem still BUT I'm slinging that in tomorrow lol.
Anyways now the car runs a hell of a lot warmer(and better most of the time), not overheating but warmer, do I need heat wraps for my new header to chill it out more?
also here is a pic of the new header right before full bolt up

Gotta fix 2 straggling bolts tomorrow as well, nuts got stuck on the studs lol.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
The leak may have caused very rich running and damaged the O2 sensor, have you changed that? I wouldn't bother with the wrap just get all the nuts and gaskets in place, it may have been running cooler because of the richer mixture.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
There may be some impact with regard to temps and performance using the tubular headers (over castings). Under-hood temps would increase from radiant heat (at least) and free flowing (cooler?) exhaust temps as sampled by the O2 sensors may affect performance. Not sure if running the Cat cooler won't cause issues (emissions and tune).

Food for thought w/regards to wrapping the headers or not. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah the O2 is shot, I'm picking up a new one today.
Kinda disappointed I can't just straight pipe the car without it running like poop (live in Georgia where it's perfectly legal since we don't have emissions)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There may be some impact with regard to temps and performance using the tubular headers (over castings). Under-hood temps would increase from radiant heat (at least) and free flowing (cooler?) exhaust temps as sampled by the O2 sensors may affect performance. Not sure if running the Cat cooler won't cause issues (emissions and tune).

Food for thought w/regards to wrapping the headers or not. :)
Well I was more so thinking of heat wraps so the entire engine bay doesn't scorch my hands when I need to pop the hood lol.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I picked up Brakes, Heat wraps, and a new Speedometer cable.
For some reason everyone OVERPRICES the hell out of the Oxygen sensors that are direct to fit, I might just go ahead and shell out for the universal O2 sensor and sit down and try to wire it lol.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
A different spec EGR valve at a minimum on the Sidekick. Not sure if there are other differences or if they even pertain to the Tracker though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
ummm I've got a 95 running with a hallowed cat and it's running just fine no o2 codes or anything like that.... thanks for the heads up on the headers been thinking about getting a set

·
Registered
37 Posts
95 4x4 1.6L 16V Tracker
I went ahead and got the heat wraps, can't hurt lol
not sure if mine is cali emissions or not, what's the difference?
I think the cali spec versions came with the cat integral with the front pipe, one single unit from the manifold to the muffler pipe, everything else had a seperate front pipe between the manifold and the cat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ummm I've got a 95 running with a hallowed cat and it's running just fine no o2 codes or anything like that.... thanks for the heads up on the headers been thinking about getting a set
Found the problem actually, loose ground wire to the battery, wasn't getting a complete circuit or whatever electrical lingo.
It still runs a little rough due to the o2 being out but I ordered from rock auto.
And Gigafex, you want heat wraps dude, it jumps up about 15-30 degrees more with the new header. DEFINITELY alot more power (causes RPM's to overshoot due to pissamatic transmission)

Also Gigafex, can you give me an exact listing of everything needed for a transmission swap? I'm wanting to do one BUT I don't know everything I need
(95 1.6 16v 4x4)

I highly recommend the Doug thorley header it's sick and makes the car a tad deeper.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BY THE WAY mine is a california trackick according to the OBD plug in (I tried reading it with a paper clip and no luck, any other way?)

·
Registered
191 Posts
the swap was almost to simple honestly it bolts right in you'll need the trans clutch flywheel clutch/break pedal assembly clutch switch (if you want it in there I simply tricked it and put the neutral safety switch wires together) center console (just the front section) clutch cable some soldier (the reverse light pig tail is not the same on the auto as it is the standard dunno why but frustrating) and a zip tie to keep the ignition lock out of the way (unless you wanna tear it apart I didnt) pretty early in the morning so probably not completely everything but thats most of it

·
Registered
191 Posts
oh and something to plug the holes in the radiator where the trans coolant lines went

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
BY THE WAY mine is a california trackick according to the OBD plug in (I tried reading it with a paper clip and no luck, any other way?)
You should still be able to read the codes that way on a 95, its probably the SES function keeping the lamp on.

·
Registered
339 Posts
95 4x4 1.6L 16V Tracker
I went ahead and got the heat wraps, can't hurt lol
not sure if mine is cali emissions or not, what's the difference?
Heat wrapping your headers will void the warranty and according to Thorley will damage the pipes.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
If yall are that worried about the heat, ceramic coat them?

Honestly, it is a non issue though.

The cast manifold holds more heat, the stainless lets more out.

I highly doubt they would actually warranty anything with a header though.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Its the warranty for the header.

I would make up a simple heatshield, something like this one:

Its not a Track/Kick but the idea is sound, its from this thread:

auszookers.com ? Login

1 - 20 of 24 Posts