Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an Aerio SX Fastback AWD in May. I am very happy with the car graduating from a Chev Cavalier (no comparison here). The car has the 2.3L engine with an automatic transmission (unfortunately only choice with AWD but I am enjoying it nonetheless).

Anyway here are a few quick questions I had (I researched the car extensively on the net reading lots of reviews, but I still have a few questions I am seeking answers to):

1) Is it just me or do the doors lock automatically on their own if you exit the car and leave them unlocked? (and no I am not pushing the key FOB… is there anyway to disable this?)

2) The dealer salesman told the car has a timing belt, but I thought that Suzuki uses a timing chain in these cars for longevity. Anybody know the service interval for the timing chain or belt?

3) The dealer salesman also told me the car has a built in alarm. I do not think this is the case as there is no mention of it in the owners’ manual and the car doesn’t “chirp” when you lock it.

4) Does anybody know if the auto transmission has computerized control (e.g. a fuzzy logic that learns from the driving style) or is just an old style slush box?

On another note, my car was delivered with some paint chips on the rear hatch and bumper that were obviously touched up at the dealer. I was a bit disappointed as when buying a new car you hope for mint condition. I am guessing it occurred while the car was shipped by rail to the dealer (e.g. facing backwards on the train). The dealer said they would repaint the bumper but I am not keen on touching the factory paint job. They offered to tint the windows to make up for it so I will probably go this route. Any suggestions? It is only 3 or 4 small chips that look like they were filled in with fingernail polish.

All in all I really like the car. I get the occasional whirring noise when accelerating around a corner (my guess is it is the AWD system). I am also hoping fuel economy will improve (not that its bad or anything) as the engine breaks in. I am curious how the AWD drive system will be in the snow (not that I am looking forward to the end of summer).

Anyway enough from me…. It is nice to see that web site like this exist for owner experiences and info…

·
Registered
56 Posts
Originally posted by Mountain-Boy+Aug 12 2004, 06:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mountain-Boy @ Aug 12 2004, 06:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>1) Is it just me or do the doors lock automatically on their own if you exit the car and leave them unlocked? (and no I am not pushing the key FOB… is there anyway to disable this?)[/b]
I have a 2003 and have not experienced that. The only time I've had the doors lock on thier own is if I unlock them using the key FOB and don't open a door within a certain amount of time, they will relock. 30 seconds or so after unlocking the doors, they'll relock.
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2004, 06:21 PM
2) The dealer salesman told the car has a timing belt, but I thought that Suzuki uses a timing chain in these cars for longevity. Anybody know the service interval for the timing chain or belt?
You are correct it is a timing chain. As for the interval it will differ depending on region, US Spec or Cdn Spec.
If you're a US owner go here to determine your interval. -- [Click!]
If you're a Canadian owner go here and register to determine your interval. -- [Click!]
3) The dealer salesman also told me the car has a built in alarm. I do not think this is the case as there is no mention of it in the owners’ manual and the car doesn’t “chirp” when you lock it.
This is not true. They do not come stock. The dealer may have added it, like they do car mats but as you don't hear a 'chirp' I doubt it.
4) Does anybody know if the auto transmission has computerized control (e.g. a fuzzy logic that learns from the driving style) or is just an old style slush box?
There are a number of owners that were moved to Germany with the armed forces that claim they do. Personally I haven't experienced it. The Germany stationed owner describes the Aerio as learning from his driving. He explains on the Autobahn the more he drives the easier the car gets up to speed, but if his wife drives it for the weekend, he has a hard time getting it up to 200 kph until it relearns his driving style. Like I said though I haven't experienced that myself, simply relaying what I've read others post.
I am also hoping fuel economy will improve (not that its bad or anything) as the engine breaks in.
It will. <!--QuoteBegin-Mountain-Boy
@Aug 12 2004, 06:21 PM
I am curious how the AWD drive system will be in the snow (not that I am looking forward to the end of summer).[/quote]With stock tires its excellent, with dedicated snow tires its nothing short of amazing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 5150 for the information. My suspicions about the over zealous salesman were correct (still a lot of car for the money I must admit). By the way I noticed some people post pictures. So here are some shots of my Aerio inlcuding the paint chip I mentioned above (it may be hard to see though...)

Also I would like to find out more technical information about the engine (e.g. can Aerios be chipped for better performance?). Does anybody have some leads?

[attachmentid=6]
[attachmentid=7]
[attachmentid=8]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Originally posted by Mountain-Boy@Aug 13 2004, 02:38 AM
Also I would like to find out more technical information about the engine (e.g. can Aerios be chipped for better performance?).  Does anybody have some leads?
No chips just yet I'm afraid. There are performance parts available though. Here are some of them in the order I recommend them ...

[ ENGINE/POWERTRAIN ]
Under Drive Pulley: Available through Rotational Dynamics or Decker Performance. Decker Performance doesn't have them up on the site just yet, inquire via email. I've got the Rotational Dynamics Underdrive Pulley on my AWD and it made an Amazing difference.
Lighter Wheels: Some would argue this isn't powertrain, but I'm putting it here anyway. I got excellent gains in mid range swapping out the heavy 16.8 lb stock aluminum wheels with a pair of Konig Heliums at 10.8 lbs a piece. Its not just about loosing weight but lessening 'Rotational Mass'. You can get light wheels all over the place but I like Tire Trends.
Intakes: Available through Decker Performance, AEM, and K&N. I'd avoid the AEM as there has been some concern about fitment issues of late, unless you have a 2002. The only manufacturer making a '04 intake is Decker Performance. Suzuki changed the location of the MAF sensor on the '04s so the '02/'03 intakes will not work on an '04.
Exhaust: A good/reputable local shop should be able to assist you with this.

[ SUSPENSION/HANDLING ]
Tires: Absolutely number one thing you want to do to increase handling. Dedicated Summer and Winter tires of course Ideal, but any good All Season tire will be better then stock. I think you said you're in Canada so again Tire Trends is the place to go. Great prices. Excellent shipping. Good guys.
Swaybar: Although there isn't one currently available for the AWD version of the Aerio if you have FWD this is a MUST HAVE update. Relatively cheap and from what I hear (as I have the AWD) it really stiffens up cornering nicely. Available over at Rotational Dynamics. While over there consider the energy suspension bushings he's making available as well.
Springs: A couple companies have them. I've got the Progress also available through Rotational Dynamics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the great info and advice. Could you provide me with a "Coles Notes" version of what an Underdrive Pully is. I have never heard of this before (or perhaps by a different name).

Are there any concerns with the stock Under Drive Pully? What difference did changing it make and why?

Thanks again...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Originally posted by Mountain-Boy+Aug 18 2004, 02:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mountain-Boy @ Aug 18 2004, 02:34 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Could you provide me with a "Coles Notes" version of what an Underdrive Pully is.  I have never heard of this before (or perhaps by a different name).[/b]
Okay I believe this is the thread we talked about the timing chain right? Well thats true, we do have a timing chain but it doesn't mean our engines are beltless. There is still whats commonly refered to as an accessories belt. Its the belt that drives things like the A/C compressor and other vehicle accessories. That belt is driven by a Pulley coming off the engine that via the belt turns the other mechanisms or accessories.

Typically this pulley is heavy. What an underdrive pulley does is two things.

One it lightens the existing pulley reducing the 'Rotational Mass' of the pulley itself. Imagine spinning a computer chair with your big fat 300 lb friend sitting in it, then imagine spinning the same computer chiar with your 75 lb grandmother in it. Who is easier to spin, the fat guy or skin an bones grandmother? Thats 'Rotational Mass', same difference.

Now where the 'Under Drive' comes in is that typically with these pulleys the aftermarket manufacturer will make them smaller in diameter as well. As an example mine is a 75% U/D Pulley. What that means is that it turns the belt slower, effectively 'Under Driving' the accessories on the other end of the belt. What this does, theoretically, is reduce the power consumption of these 'accessories' and freeing up power.

Makes sense I hope. <!--QuoteBegin-Mountain-Boy
@Aug 18 2004, 02:34 AM
Are there any concerns with the stock Under Drive Pully?  What difference did changing it make and why? 
[/quote]By reducing the effort the engine takes to spin that Pulley by a)reducing Rotational Mass, and b)reducing the power consumption of the accessories, you're effectively freeing up horsepower. This mod has been dyno'd on an '03 5spd Aerio at just under 4 hp. Doesn't seem like alot but at 80 bucks vs. 240 for a CAI that gives you the something like 5 hp, its a bargain at a hp/dollar point of view. But its not just the horsepower advantage, you have to realise the engine spools up so much more quickly now, under accelerations many have found the automatic engine to shift at a higher RPM.

Under Drive Pulley
Pros: More horsepower. Freer revving engine. Different, lighter driving feel.
Cons: Drives accesories slower (I notice fan positions 1 and 2 blow less air, thats the only side effect I've had). There has been one complaint from a person in the community that he had issues with his large aftermarket stereo. Thats one complaint from litteraly dozens of owners.

Lightened Pulley
Pros: More horsepower. Freer revving engine. Different driving feel. Runs accesories at OEM speed.
Cons: Less horsepower then the true Under Drive Pulley, but marginally less.

My recommendation. Get the 'Full sized/Lightened' Pulley. MrBill's Workshop has just done a production run of 15 of which I believe 10 are spoken for. Contact him and order one.

Your engine will rev more freely. Accelerate harder. More then one person, myself included, has described the effect as 'the whole car feeling lighter and more nimble' which doesn't make sense as this isn't a suspension mod. But I kid you not the first thing you'll notice is the car 'feels' lighter and more 'nimble'. Its weird.

FYI: Stock Pulley is something like 4lb8oz, the lightened aluminum one is under a lb.

Hope that answers most of your questions. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also run the U/D pully and can confirm 5150's observations. Also note that the references to rotational mass also apply to the rims ands wheels. If you are looking for more "power" the lighter the rims and tires the less work the engine has to do to get them moving. If you are of a mind to replace the rims and tires chech the weights and you may be surprised. You should be able to find good rims under 15 lbs. With the Aerio every little thing adds up to the total so with a limited number of aftermarket parts available you need to be creative. Note that if you want to run a quarter mile do 1 run normal then try lightening the car as much as possible and do another run to compair. Things like running with olny a few litres of gas, and removing the spare/jackassy etc can add up a much improved time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thats true Biggles. My stock '03 wheels were 16.8 lbs, I went with a set of 10.8 lbs Konig Heliums and not only does the car accelerate better (amazing mid range), but my mileage climbed 20 kilometers per tank, not alot but enough.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They look real good too. Did you get them at a local retailer or throught the net? I'm looking to find a real cheep set of steeles for the winter and am looking for a good source. Now that I got a new set of factory alloy rims on from the warrantee I would like to keep them nice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Picked up the wheels and tires at www.tiretrends.com. Thats the best bet for us canadians. Paid 680 cdn for the rims delivered and the best price I could find locally was over a grand. Well worth buying online.

For Americans there are other options out there, but for Canadians, Tire Trends is the place for rims and tires. Only wish they had more selection in the cheap end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts