Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1992 Geo Tracker hard top 1.6, 5 speed two wheel drive. I bought this car to tow 4 down behind my motor home, the question is, does the steering wheel lock when the switch is in the off position. The reason I ask is when I had it on the lift with switch off I was able to turn the wheels all the way in both directions and they never locked. :confused:

View attachment 30378

View attachment 30386

·
Registered
156 Posts
It will only lock if you pull the key out of the ignition. Then and only then will it lock. So if you need to turn the vehicle off like say if throttle sticks wide open. Then you turn off engine and coast to a stop. If you yank the key out the wheel will lock. And off into the ditch you go. So.. Don't pull the key out if you want to be able to steer it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your ride looks pretty darn good. My 1st was a 92 2door 5speed soft top. I never had the $$ to get a hard top. Nice.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
It looks like your Tracker is already set up as a towd. You never really know what a PO (prior owner) has done for "his" set-up.

My first TracKick ('94 Kick 2 door 4x4 auto with an aftermarket hard top) also came to me already set-up as a toad. One of the prior owners had "fixed" the lock so it would not lock the steering. I never did figure out exactly how they did it and that Kick has been sold. (It also had a speed-o-meter cable disconnect.) That Kick ("Suzie A") is now in Wisconsin being used as a towd by the 5th owner in a row.

It is POSSIBLE that the same was done to your Tracker.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nice looking ride!

Yes unless you just added the tow bar mounts, I'd say your Tracker was definitely already set up as a toad.

·
Registered
156 Posts
it looks like your tracker is already set up as a towd. You never really know what a po (prior owner) has done for "his" set-up.

My first trackick ('94 kick 2 door 4x4 auto with an aftermarket hard top) also came to me already set-up as a toad. One of the prior owners had "fixed" the lock so it would not lock the steering. I never did figure out exactly how they did it and that kick has been sold. (it also had a speed-o-meter cable disconnect.) that kick ("suzie a") is now in wisconsin being used as a towd by the 5th owner in a row.

It is possible that the same was done to your tracker.
its pretty straight forward in most vehicles. Take steering wheel off. And maybe another nut. Then remove lock ring. And reassemble without it. And maybe have to add washer where lock ring was so steering wheel doesn't rub on coulmn. Newer ones you have to jack around with air bag. I haven't done an air bag remove. So i aint gonna say how to do that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have never had anythin to tow my tracks/gv's but is that what you want is steering to be able to turn while being a toad?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
...but is that what you want is steering to be able to turn while being a toad?
Yes.

Thanks for the info... I have a "spare" column, in my parts kick, to "play" with if I ever have the time.

The reason that disabling the steering lock is nice is that you do not need to leave a key in your towd while towing. (and having a spare key so the toad isn't unlocked while "driving around without anyone in it.") Also most cars these days do not have a "unlocked but nothing turned on" position between "lock" and "accessory," meaning the battery is being drained while towing. The "fix" normally recommended is to pull this or that fuse to tow. But taking the RIGHT fuse out and putting it back is a pain if you connect and disconnect often. (I do when on vacation type trips.)

Another "trick" is making it so you can remove the key even if not in the lock position. (But this doesn't solve the power draw/fuse issue.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. It did not come tow ready so I had to add a base plate on, I didn't want to tie into the car wiring so I just ran wire from the front to back and made a mount that will attach to the top that I can put tow lights on top that I can remove when not in tow. Thanks Moo for the info about removing the lock ring.

View attachment 30521

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have towed my 89 since it was new. I have a hidden battery disconnect so that even with the key in the ignition no one can start the car if they break a window or open a door. I prefer the roof mounted lights but also have my vehicle lights wired if I need to use them. Some police officers have been funny that way. In 25 years of happy travels the key in the ignition had never caused a problem, sometimes I hang a ball cap over it if I am concerned. When you start tearing into the steering column remember that these rigs are old, plastic is brittle and replacement parts impossible to get in some cases.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
... I didn't want to tie into the car wiring so I just ran wire from the front to back and made a mount that will attach to the top that I can put tow lights on top that I can remove when not in tow.
While I do see the merits of using additional lights to a towd rather than tapping into the system, I have always desired a cleaner installation. I also like high mounted brake and turn lights but think there should also be some lower... where most drivers are used to seeing them. On some vehicles there is room in the stock tail lights for an additional lamp socket that could be used for towd lighting. Then the only tap would be into the running lights. Too bad the TracKick isn't one of these with room for the extra socket.

Notice: This info below this point is for people who tow their TracKicks and might not be that interesting to others. ;)

Here in the US, most rigs for years used combined turn and stop lights. The standard "trailer" wiring set ups reflect this and only have wires for left, right, running lights and ground. The simplest is the "flat four" disconnect.

The most common way to provide "towd" lights is to tap in with diodes. (I'm not a big fan of diodes for this, but more on that later.) And the most common location to tap into the TracKick system is behind the left rear tail light as all the wiring is routed through there. The what wires you use when you tap in depends on the color of the tail lights. Here is where Trackers have an advantage over Sidekicks as their turn signals are RED and Sidekick turn signals are (the more sensible, but harder to use as a towd) YELLOW (aka Amber). So most Sidekick owners have to use the BRAKE lights while TRACKER owners can use the turn signals. Why would this matter?? Because if the brake lights are used the center BRAKE light will blink with the left blinker.

--- This is not desired. --

Note that the earliest Sidekicks did not have center brake lights so they do not have this problem. (But I like center brake light for safety reasons.)

When I noticed this blinking center brake light behaviour on my first Sidekick, I put a card board box over the center light. (It was the soft top design light. so it was easy and quick. Redneck engineering at it's finest!) My solution for my other Sidekicks was to replace the tail lights with all red Tracker units from junk yard. Then I just used the turn signals as towd lights.

About diodes:
They are nice as the "auto switch" (not exactly technically correct but close enough!) from regular non-towd use to towd use without any input from the user. Just plain easy, but I do not like the voltage drop that causes dimmer lights. While they do not make them dim enough to be a LEGAL issue, I like my lights to be BRIGHT.

I installed a switch box under the hood that has one switch... Normal and Towd. Now I have bright towd lights but have to throw a switch when connecting/disconnecting.
-- I will not go into the wiring for this unless someone requests it --

1 - 11 of 11 Posts