Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I thought I had seen it all in the sidekick world....

Someone made their own fiberglass top.

Check this one out on fleabay.... looks like it'll keep the rain out.

Suzuki Other JS | eBay

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
Hmmm....interesting, although I would have preferred side windows and a different color.....

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
It almost looks like leather!

That's a lot of hide from a donor critter, if that's the case. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,764 Posts
Just when I thought I had seen it all in the sidekick world....

Someone made their own fiberglass top.

Check this one out on fleabay.... looks like it'll keep the rain out.
Fibreglass is not that difficult, especially if it's done the way that looks like it was done - lay the mat & resin directly over an old soft top, rather than taking the time to do a mould,

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
Hmmm, yes it does look that way - although I wonder how he attached retainer clips at the roll bar to keep it in place.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I went to look at low mile tracker last fall, hell it was a $1000 and under 80K miles, cant be bad, right? Get there, and the guy had an aftermarket hard top on it, and since it leaked, bondo'd it up, even the back window and tailgate. Said it dont leak no more. well no crap buddy. I said the engine/tranny is worth $1000, but the body is wasted.

·
Super Moderator
13,764 Posts
Get there, and the guy had an aftermarket hard top on it, and since it leaked, bondo'd it up, even the back window and tailgate. Said it dont leak no more.
This might well be the soft top equivalent of that, done in fiberglass - because I see no provision to open the rear window,and if you can't do that, how do you open the tailgate?

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
This might well be the soft top equivalent of that, done in fiberglass - because I see no provision to open the rear window,and if you can't do that, how do you open the tailgate?
You can open the tailgate, but have to slide things in, rather than have the rear window open, as well. Ask me how I know.....the zipper on my soft top was broken - but in the closed position, fortunately - for, ah, well, some years, actually. While I could disengage the rear window from the tailgate (remove fiberglass rod) I didn't have a lot of height to work with, but got quite good at putting things in on their side. :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If its the later type like mine then the tailgate opens independently of the soft top

·
Super Moderator
13,764 Posts
So the soft top doesn't come down & overlap the top edge of the tailgate? We never got the soft top versions here just the three & five door, so any two door around was privately imported - I've fitted new tops on a couple but I'm really not that familiar with how they close.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
No, the soft top fixes to a bar that goes across above the tailgate.

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
Interesting. I also thought that the plastic bar was actually attached to the top of the tailgate, and that the top overlapped it. On the earlier Trackicks, there is a fiberglass rod that inserts through the bottom of the soft top, and snaps on to the rear of the tailgate to keep it attached.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The plastic trim is attached to the top of the tailgate, the soft top is attached to a metal bar above that; the bar clips into a plastic bracket at each end.

·
Super Moderator
13,764 Posts
What I recall is the soft top overlapping the tailgate reducing the chance of water running off the top getting into the vehicle, as mentioned I never owned a convertible, and it's been many years since I helped my neighbor replace her top so what I recall as being the top of the tailgate may not have been.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hmmm....interesting, although I would have preferred side windows and a different color.....
ROTFLMAO...:lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts