Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My daughter who lives in Greece is interested in buying the Suzuki Jimny. I've been to the Suzuki Global website and have gotten a general overview of the car, but I'd like to hear first-hand opinions on what is great about the car, what problems are typical with this car; if it's reliable etc. Also, what is the ballpark cost for this vehicle? Anything specific I should look out for when considering buying a Jimny?

Thanks very much --
John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also I need information too; I would like to use it offroad. How is the offroad capabilities? Could you compare with lada niva
Best Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by alfaelectric@Apr 19 2006, 08:56 PM
Hi all,

My daughter who lives in Greece is interested in buying the Suzuki Jimny. I've been to the Suzuki Global website and have gotten a general overview of the car, but I'd like to hear first-hand opinions on what is great about the car, what problems are typical with this car; if it's reliable etc. Also, what is the ballpark cost for this vehicle? Anything specific I should look out for when considering buying a Jimny?

Thanks very much --
John
Hi,

I've only had my Jimny for about 6 months but I can say that I've greatly enjoyed driving it during this time. I do out of town camping and diving trips every weekend and find the solid suspension and sturdy off-road capabilities lets me go places I wouldn't take a sedan to. Although its cruising speed is less than that of most sedans, its power is sufficient for even steep climbs. Fuel consumption is also pretty low - a big deal for me. All in all, its a great little car, and a joy to drive.

The only drawback is the very limited cargo space. I solved this problem by installing a good roof rack, but more fragile cargo has to be kept inside.

My 4x4 enthusiast friends seemed to like the suspension and general capabilities of the Jimny, though I don't really do serious off-roading. But so far the Jimny gets me wherever I want to go, road or no road. :57:

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by alfaelectric@Apr 20 2006, 03:56 AM
Hi all,

Thanks very much --
John
Hi John.

I live ii Greece to (Athens) and I own 2 Jimny (Soft and Hard top). I bought my first in 1999. It is my daily car in the city, and i use it for very hard off road excursions on Greek mountains, as well as for off road races. I used to change my car at least once a year untill i met Jimny. At the beggining I hate this car because of its on road movement. It is very unstable and it can spin and twist very very easy, especialy on the Greek wet asphalt. It will be even harder for a driver (like me) used on the front wheel movment cars. So if your daughter is familiar with the idea of normal - non agressive drive, jimny will be perfect. But the first thing she has to do is to throw away the stock tyres. I have never met so useless tyres in my life.... They are really dangerous. So calculate an extra cost for this.

Jimny has no problems in general. I believe tht it is very reliable. There will be some litle problems (like some stearing wheel bearings) only on hard off road use with no maintenance (i made my first valvoline and engine oil change on 120.000 KM) and the car has no problem until now (The one i use for hard off roa has 215.000 KM).

It is very easy to drive (in low speeds) and you can move and park quite easy in the big cities of Greece. I travel a lot all over Greece almost every weekend. On the national road you will have no problem when moving with speeds up to 120 KMH. Above this limit the car is very anstable and quite dangerous, and the petrol consumption is very high.

As a mater of fact this car is designed for off road use, an i mean hard off road, not simple dust roads. I am a memper off an off road club in Athens and I have the oportunity to compare the car with others in the same contitions. You will be amazed when you see it on such contitions. This is the reason I fall in love with this car, and I bought a second one.

Hope I helped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As has been mentioned above the Jimny is very easy to drive on road. Fairly well behaved as long as you don't sit above 50mph for too long - it's loud!!!

I've had quite a few problems with mine.
I use mine to go through british forests such as Kielder, and driving across fields on motorsport events.

My car is nearly 5 years old with 41,000miles on the clock.

I had to replace the:
exhaust back box, £100
Catalytic converter and down pipe, £460
2 back tyres (all terain tyres), £135

My king pin bearings are wearing, that's going to be £100
I have a SERIOUS leak on my passenger side ball joint, £100

And this isn't stupid off roading, just not too suitable for a normal hatch back.

If i had bought this car after this work had been done, i have no doubt that i wouldn't have these costs but it's a shock to the credit card when i have little choice in the matter.

My advice would be buy and older vitara as parts are cheaper and easier to get a hold of!

Good luck, Jonny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts