Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched for this topic and haven't found many ideas of what kind of press to use....

I’ve had my sammi now for almost 4 years and have done many mods such as yj springs, 1.6 turbo diesel, new axles lockers etc..and unfortunately the tranny recently has been making some noise in 3rd and 4th and hard to shift into second (sometimes grinding into second) it works fine just sometimes hard to shift into it. Anyway, I am in the process of getting the rebuild kit and know I will be needing a press….will this little guy work from harbor freight? If not, what else has everyone else been using to press the bearings on? Thanks!
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Here is a 'how to' for the rebuild.
Tranny Rebuild
I have done many of them for the Sammy tranny and it can be done with hand tools. I used a large brass drift for any of the stuborn parts.

Oh, that press does not have the working space that you need (if you use a press to make it easier).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a 'how to' for the rebuild.
Tranny Rebuild
I have done many of them for the Sammy tranny and it can be done with hand tools. I used a large brass drift for any of the stuborn parts.

Oh, that press does not have the working space that you need (if you use a press to make it easier).
So if I onlyl had a gear puller and a brass drift (5/8" work?) think that's all I would need?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I think I also used a C-clip removal tool also. But you can also use a small thin screwdriver.
The trick is doing it on a large clean surface and keeping everything in order (and labeled). If you like puzzles, the tranny is a breeze.
:cool:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hate to ask a question that probably most folks already know, but what is a brass drift? Additionally, if you have a pic, it would help me understand better how it's used for this application.
Thx

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Hate to ask a question that probably most folks already know, but what is a brass drift? Additionally, if you have a pic, it would help me understand better how it's used for this application.
Thx
Sorry, had to get home before I could take a picture...
Here is my brass drift. I put the mallot and safety glasses in there too for perspective. I use the ends to force things and you may be able to see the marks along the sides where i lay it flat on large objects (like a bearing race) and then I wack the drift. It spreads the load across the object.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks Billjohn. I'm a visual kind of learner, so seeing the tool also helps to figure out its use. Sorry to hijack the thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts