Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I bought a LHD 2005 (my) 2004 reg Ignis on french plates that the UK dealer had lost the docs for Ive been trying to register it on UK plates, since february so I can then immediatly ship it out to my retirement home in Greece where I am moving to on 1/8/20 but DVLA are demanding a "owners club document" proving age of vehicle or evidence of age from the factory!. Ive even supplied them the equivalant of the EU HPI showing Model Year and original date of registration.in France but they wont accept that, and French authorites wont disclose anything as I bought it in UK. Suzuki UK say they are not accepting applications for this type of request for the foreseeable future and I have been struggling since Early February to get this registered. It will only be on UK plates long enough to get it to the ferry and driven out to Crete where ist will be reregistered on Greek plates Any ideas would be greatfully recieved. Ive retired early due to ill health and Ive not got many years left and I would like to try and enjoy whats left and this stress is exactly what my doctors say I should not be going thru. Whine and rant over. Any help would be really appreciated

·
Registered
486 Posts
Welcome to this forum.

I haven't a clue, I'm afraid, just a bit perplexed as to why you've taken that route rather than just buy a car in Greece.

I can't see what relevance "model year" has in any case. I can understand Suzuki UK not dealing with an enquiry about a French car - but what about contacting Suzuki France? Bienvenue sur Suzuki France

·
Registered
866 Posts
Use a car carrier to get it to the ferry? In Australia we can get an Unregistered Vehicle Permit that covers insurance and a small amount for a set period of time. We can get it online and the vehicle will need a RWC safety inspection cert (MoT).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Never buy a foreign registered vehicle without documentation particularly if the car isn't still registered in it's home country (France). Unfortunately the lost documents story is very familiar and should be viewed with suspicion. Life is a bit easier if the vehicle is more than 10 years old but there are requirements you must meet (invoice from selling dealer, speedo conversion to MPH etc etc.) and the car would need to be UK insured. In some cases the car would need to be registered on a Q plate - this can create another set of problems. Transport to Greece would need to be paid for together with Greek registration costs and the vehicle would need to have an MOT equivalent. Personally, I wouldn't bother for a 16 year old car - I'd buy a car in Greece - it would be far more cost effective. If you really want to do this - why not miss out the UK registration step and just get a vehicle exporter to deliver the car to Greece. Check first that you can prove legal ownership and that you can comply with Greek regulations for registration of an imported car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to this forum.

I haven't a clue, I'm afraid, just a bit perplexed as to why you've taken that route rather than just buy a car in Greece.

I can't see what relevance "model year" has in any case. I can understand Suzuki UK not dealing with an enquiry about a French car - but what about contacting Suzuki France? Bienvenue sur Suzuki France
Same car in Crete is 4000Euros Here it was £300.
DVLA wants to know exact date of manufactuer to provide a age related V5 Suzuki UK didnt mind where it was registered. They. and Suzuki France would still need to get the documentation from the factory and the factory is not providing the info in a timely manner.
Use a car carrier to get it to the ferry? In Australia we can get an Unregistered Vehicle Permit that covers insurance and a small amount for a set period of time. We can get it online and the vehicle will need a RWC safety inspection cert (MoT).
wont let it leave the county without UK v5 docs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never buy a foreign registered vehicle without documentation particularly if the car isn't still registered in it's home country (France). Unfortunately the lost documents story is very familiar and should be viewed with suspicion. Life is a bit easier if the vehicle is more than 10 years old but there are requirements you must meet (invoice from selling dealer, speedo conversion to MPH etc etc.) and the car would need to be UK insured. In some cases the car would need to be registered on a Q plate - this can create another set of problems. Transport to Greece would need to be paid for together with Greek registration costs and the vehicle would need to have an MOT equivalent. Personally, I wouldn't bother for a 16 year old car - I'd buy a car in Greece - it would be far more cost effective. If you really want to do this - why not miss out the UK registration step and just get a vehicle exporter to deliver the car to Greece. Check first that you can prove legal ownership and that you can comply with Greek regulations for registration of an imported car.
Weve been a motor traders 90 years as a family and never had a problem before. Car cannot be shipped out of the UK without a V5 registered in my name and they wont allow it to land in Greece without full docs in my name wether driven or transported and its going on a trailer behind my van anyway. Car is mot'd on the vin number and I have a motor trade insurance policy (as I still own my business in uk) who will supply cover and green card as soon as its on UK plates. Registration cost for a car over 10 years old is minimal and same car in Crete costs 3000E I paid £300 for a one owner car with full dealer history and 17000kms on it. Q plates are not a problem. Thats easy. But I didnt want to go that route. Although thats now a possibility I can use the car in Greece for 6 months prior to registering it on Greek plates as I have applied for residencyand have a friend there who imports cars all the time so the Greek side is minimally costly and easy and I have all the documentation I need with the exception of the V5., but thank you all anyway. All I wanted to know really was is there an suzuki owners club that can provide the proof of age as DVLA will accept that,

·
Registered
290 Posts
If it’s just the date of manufacture you want, can’t you just buy a VIN report from eg uk.vin-info. com ? Owners clubs usually use a VIN decoder in conjunction with photographic evidence to identify features of a model year or year range. If you’re in the motor trade and have access to Suzuki’s electronic parts catalogue or have a link with your local Suzuki dealer - entering the VIN churns out basic vehicle information which includes production month and year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Done that sent in report Not acceptable as printed off internet. Has to be original on Car club headed paper. And know my local Suzy dealer very well. Thats where car came from. Printouts of car parts catalogue not acceptable. Believe me Ive been dealing with this since February and Ive tried everything. . The only thing they will accept is the document from Suzuki factory or a car club! Or I have to accept a Q plate which I dont really want to do as then V5 wont have a date of manufacture on it which may/will cause problems in Greece.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So....

I suggested contacting Suzuki in France - what did they say?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am flabbergasted! Why on earth such a large difference?
Well theres a bit more to it than that, otherwise everyone would be in the car export business! The depreciation on cars in the UK is bonkers and this is not the case in many countries. It's often the case that used cars that might be worth a few hundred £s in the UK would be worth £ thousands in some countries. My son lives in Central America and has just sold his 2005 poor condition, mega miles Kia Sportage for almost £7K - you'd be very lucky to get £1000 in the UK for a similar car! Some countries impose high levels of taxation / duty on imports and I think in Greece that this is a percentage of the "theoretical" value of the car. Furthermore to avoid commercial profiting from car importation many countries (including Greece) require the vehicle to have been owned by the importer for 6 months before registering abroad and the importer needs to prove residence status in the country of import.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well theres a bit more to it than that, otherwise everyone would be in the car export business! The depreciation on cars in the UK is bonkers and this is not the case in many countries. It's often the case that used cars that might be worth a few hundred £s in the UK would be worth £ thousands in some countries. My son lives in Central America and has just sold his 2005 poor condition, mega miles Kia Sportage for almost £7K - you'd be very lucky to get £1000 in the UK for a similar car! Some countries impose high levels of taxation / duty on imports and I think in Greece that this is a percentage of the "theoretical" value of the car. Furthermore to avoid commercial profiting from car importation many countries (including Greece) require the vehicle to have been owned by the importer for 6 months before registering abroad and the importer needs to prove residence status in the country of import.
Correct in some parts but nonsense in others Cars i Cretecae all mainland imports hence high values.. you only need to have had an address in greece for 3 months and have applied for residency to import a car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was a cheap tidy 17000km car with full history that was part of a package of 8 cars I bought from a Suzuki main dealer and I spoke with the original owner who was dealing with the reregistering of the car But he died before it was sorted out. And the same car costs 15x what I paid for it in Crete and would be a beat up P.O S with 200k of Cretan road driving on it. Whats that got to do with what I am asking about on here anyway? That was my decision and TBH its my business.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Both Suzukis we've owned have had body plates with month and year of manufacture stamped on them. Could you send evidence of this if you find it with it notarised by a JP or similar. Would they take letterhead from your Suzuki dealer or is it "Computer says no" ignorance?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It was a cheap tidy 17000km car with full history that was part of a package of 8 cars I bought from a Suzuki main dealer and I spoke with the original owner who was dealing with the reregistering of the car But he died before it was sorted out. And the same car costs 15x what I paid for it in Crete and would be a beat up P.O S with 200k of Cretan road driving on it. Whats that got to do with what I am asking about on here anyway? That was my decision and TBH its my business.
I asked because I was interested. Forums are a two way street and whilst you readily ask questions, everyone else can do likewise. Nobody is forcing anybody to answer a question and it’s not up to you to dictate what questions can be asked. Suggest you take a large box of chill pills with you to Crete.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
in that case ask your question politely and not sarcastcally and then you wont get a sarcastic or rude answer back will you. And you can insert your chill pills bud. I asked a simple question and got not one sensible answer. I have now sorted the problem
"Why did you go through a convoluted route and buy a car without documents" is not exactly a polite way to open a discussion. There was nothing convoluted about it, It was bought from a Suzuki main dealer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Both Suzukis we've owned have had body plates with month and year of manufacture stamped on them. Could you send evidence of this if you find it with it notarised by a JP or similar. Would they take letterhead from your Suzuki dealer or is it "Computer says no" ignorance?
I have alreday sent photos and Rubbings of the vin plate, plus a letter from the Suzuki main dealer and the DVLA are refusing to accept it. But thank you anyways I have had to admit defeat and accept a Q plate due to time constraints,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts