Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have a 1988 Sammy, been in my family since 1992. This dude has been the most reliable vehicle ever, oddly enough. It's been anything from a deer camp ride to my dad's daily driver for a while.

It has 95,xxx miles on it. And the past few months it's started acting up. Tonight marks about the 4th or 5th time it's done this.

So what it does is this.....when you turn the key it will try to start and try to start and try to start but just will no turn over. After 20 or 30 seconds of this, you can smell gas. If I let it sit 5 - 15 minutes, then try again it starts.

Normally when it starts it puffs out a few puffs of black smoke, runs rough, and once or twice it's backfired...then rev it a few times and let it idle 10 or 20 seconds and it's back to normal.

So tonight it was in my garage, my dad and I were changing the radios out, and it did this. Then after I got it started after I let it sit a few minutes...there was something coming out of the tailpipe. Kinda looked like oil, kinda didn't. Seemed to be lighter than oil, my dad said he didn't think it was oil, he thought it was junk from the fuel system or somewhere.

He thought I should run some seafoam through it?

What do you guys think? I don't drive this Suzuki much at all, today was the first time it was started I 3 weeks I'd guess. It started fine to move into my garage, then after we went to start it back later is when it acted up.

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My best guess from what you said is the mechanical fuel pump seals giving up and leak flooding the engine ...i would look at spark plugs when it does that 'no starting, misfire' i bet there will be gas in the cylinder...

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
It won't be the fuel pump, try the fuel float "needle and seat" in the carb, I bet thats leaking giving a rich mix causing the starting probs. The other thing that could be causing it is plugs with too big a gap, when did it last have a new set?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts