Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm swapping the transmission out of my 95 4x4 1.6 litre 16 valve
which is the 3L30 3 speed automatic transmission.
I'm just TIRED of the hassle of an automatic transmission lol and yes this is my project car that I am also using to learn, so just buying another tracker/sidekick is not an option and I really just need a list of parts to do this.

SO what I am in need of is a complete list of parts for the swap
I know I will need:
5 speed transmission pre-96 (need the model number of the trans though)
Bell housing
Pedal Assembly
Clutch cable
Pressure plate
5:13 differential gears
I think the ECU out of a 5 speed tracker? yes or no?

am I leaving anything out besides bigger wheels? lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
you won't need the ecu or the other rear end you will need the fly-wheel off the standard other than that it's to early for me to remember but there isn't much to it honestly.

Reactions: deadpool454

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
you won't need the ecu or the other rear end you will need the fly-wheel off the standard other than that it's to early for me to remember but there isn't much to it honestly.
SWEET
I knew this wouldn't be TOO difficult!
Also you said you liked the gears from the auto with the stick?
is it more power or just smoother or what compared to the 5:13's?
and I can use the transfer case I already have right?

And I was thinking of upgrading my power steering pump and using the old trans cooler as the cooler for the PS pump, think that'd work?

·
Registered
191 Posts
you can use either transfer case they are the same unit I pulled both apart to make sure bolt patterns are identical and so are the drive shafts as long as both are 2 door or both are 4 door.

I've drove a stock standard and my stock auto and now my auto diff with standard there's a little less "giddy up" from the get go but lower rpm's at highway speeds I'm running about 3150 rpm at 75 mph even with a loss of compression (I've got a head gasket leak between #2 & 3) I dont remember what stock standards run rmp wise it's been alot of years but that was really nice compared to the 3800 with the automatic

as for the power steering.... I still haven't put it in its still sitting in a bag in a drawer, I'm going to put a new suspension under her once she's running and I gather up the money so I'll put it in then.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can use either transfer case they are the same unit I pulled both apart to make sure bolt patterns are identical and so are the drive shafts as long as both are 2 door or both are 4 door.

I've drove a stock standard and my stock auto and now my auto diff with standard there's a little less "giddy up" from the get go but lower rpm's at highway speeds I'm running about 3150 rpm at 75 mph even with a loss of compression (I've got a head gasket leak between #2 & 3) I dont remember what stock standards run rmp wise it's been alot of years but that was really nice compared to the 3800 with the automatic

as for the power steering.... I still haven't put it in its still sitting in a bag in a drawer, I'm going to put a new suspension under her once she's running and I gather up the money so I'll put it in then.
Sweet and I was just thinking about putting in the Lowrange Offroad power steering pump which requires an intercooler but there isn't any room SO maybe I could utilize the transmission cooler since it won't be used with the manual trans.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also just so I can enjoy the car I have no clue if the transmission pan needs rtv on the gasket or not. Help?

·
Registered
191 Posts
wow mine was just rtv there was no gasket =P a little wont hurt it and will help to seal any imperfections, will also help to hold it in place while ya get the pan in the right spot

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow mine was just rtv there was no gasket =P a little wont hurt it and will help to seal any imperfections, will also help to hold it in place while ya get the pan in the right spot
Necrobump guys, just an update:
Figured out the leak. Slung the gasket on the automatic transmission and figured out the hoses were the wrong size (mines 5/16ths hoses not 3/8ths) and changed them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts