Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Hi Everyone

Bit new at this but here goes.

I have a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.7 - 3 door 4X4 (Manufactured in South Africa)

My problem is that if you drive the car for longer than 30min's especially on a hot day using the airconditioning and stop for a few minutes and try and start again the engine turns but wont start. If you leave it for between 9 and 15 mins then it starts well and goes. On a very hot day it has even cut out by itself and started again after "cooling off" for a sililar period. (And the temp gauge shows normal!)

The computer has been checked, the alarm and imobilizer disabled but problem persist. According to the dealers they are clueless as to what the problem may be.

This problem started shortly after a service on 23rd December 2004
Its a great gutsy little car, would be so nice to solve the problem.

Any advice will be appreciated and considdered!

Thanking you in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
what do the spark plugs look like? If they are wet fouled it may be fuel related. I had a similar issue on my VW when the cold start fuel enrichment circuit would not shut off so the car essentially ran in a choke mode. I do not know if the fuel injection in a Suzuki has a similar fuel enrichment/cold start feature. Not too bad as long as the VW was running but a problem if I shut it off. I would have to hold the accelerator pedal to the floor while cranking to get it started to clear the excess fuel. Good luck

·
Registered
270 Posts
Did you try the heatshield and/or wet rag test as per 8th March. If they are eliminated then sounds like a pressure failure in the tank/supply.

beancounter

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like it could be vapour lock. where do you get your gas/petrol? try putting methyl hydrate with the fuel (1L to 40L of fuel) to absorb the water if there is any in the fuel. If this doesn't solve the problem, at least this is a cheap way to eliminate vapour lock as a suspect.
Let us know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts