Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to replace my wheel bearing in my 98 tracker today because it is really bad but when i had almost everything off i noticed that i needed a special tool to take the hub off, this link shows this tool:

[ame]http://www.amazon.ca/OTC-7913-Bearing-Locknut-Socket/dp/B0014DINCE[/ame]

Well after looking everywhere to purchase this tool i was not able to find one localy so i brought my truck to a local mechanic and figured they would have one, so after working on my truck for an hour they came out and said threy could not get it off since they also don't have the tool and then charged me 60$ for nothing at all, so today i had the tracker towed to a local car dealer that used to sell Suzuki until a few months back, so my question is should i have brought it to a chevy dealer instead or do the 97/98 sidekicks have the same wheel bearing retaining system. I just don't want them to get to the same point and tell me they can't get it out again and charge me.

Thanks

Kris

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
They should be the same, tooling wise.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
If I understand things correctly, the lock nut on the last of the 1st gen TRACKERS (not Sidekicks) had a different lock nut and needs a different tool than the other Trackicks. This should effect all 1998 and maybe a few '97's.

I also understand the more common early style lock nut works just fine so it can be converted.

Disclaimer: I do not own a '98 Tracker and have never worked on one.

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
My 2c worth..

Regardless of which tool is required, if the mechanic is reputable and was unable to repair the vehicle, then he should not have charged for his failings..

Ask him for a refund, and if it is not forthcoming, a letter to the editor of the local rag...

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts
x2
And the wavy washer is only on the Tracker, not on the Suzuki.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If I knew the work required a "Special Tool" I would have asked the mechanic if he had the tool before I brought him the work. But hey that's me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts