Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 94 geo tracker 5 speed 4×4.i got high centered and like a idiot in 4 low I popped the clutch trying to get unstuck in reverse and I heard something snap when i did it and now no more 4×4.when I engage the 4wd I can hear something sounding like gears stripped out and just constantly revolving.ive looked and have no idea what it is.no oil leaking anywhere or any sign of anything abnormal

· Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,449 Posts
Down you go and inspect the drive train.. We cannot diagnose from here..

· Registered
14,010 Posts
Oil leaking is a bad sign too.....check for cracks as well.

· Super Moderator
27,131 Posts
Maybe just loosened the chain in the transfer case? Some info in this thread (and photos) might help.

· Administrator
19,493 Posts
Maybe just loosened the chain in the transfer case? Some info in this thread (and photos) might help.
I doubt it - the transfer cases are not known for giving trouble. I'd say there is a V.E.R.Y high probability the front differential is broken - it's a known weak spot. Applying excessive torque in reverse causes the differential housing to rotate "top-to-front", lifting it away from the cross member, apply enough torque or "shock load" it through spinning tires that suddenly stop when they acquire traction and things break.

· Super Moderator
27,131 Posts
Ah, good info, thanks. Gives the poster some more info as to where to look, and gives me (at least) more info of what not to do…;)

· Registered
1991 Hardtop 3-door Tracker 1.6L 4WD 5-Speed No A/C
1,110 Posts
YIKES!!! Just ONE MORE reason to memorize the owner's manual pages about shifting into and out of 4WD -- when, where, why and how.

· Registered
14,010 Posts
Not so much the shifting, its how not to try and free a high centered vehicle.
I'm hoping its not the front diff, but I think fordem will be correct

1 - 9 of 9 Posts