Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 87' stock Sami for a few years now. Recently it started vibrating like crazy but only when its in gear and over 40mph. I found that i had a broken transfer case mount so i replaced it and its STILL vibrating!!! What do yall think is wrong??? ANY help with this would be greatly appreciated:confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
First check the obvious.
Loose lug nuts
Tie rod ends and pitman arm

Then get the tires balanced. Sometimes wear will cause a wobble between 40 and 50mph and just getting them balanced can do wonders.
The tire shop can check wheels for any issues at that point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only vibrates when in gear, if I engage the clutch or put it in neutral the vibrations stop... That leads me to think its in the drivetrain not the wheels tires etc... Perhaps a u joint went bad and the driveshaft is vibrating and that's what broke the transfer case mount in the first place????

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Apply the parking brake.
Put everything in neutral.
Slide under the vehicle and grab both sides of each u-joint, attempting to twist violently...
If there is any movement in the joint, something that feels loose, then it should be replaced.
Here is a link to an article showing how to replace them if you need to.
U-Joint Rebuild

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great thank you! I will do that and let you know! Is there anything else you can think of that could be causing the crazy vibration??

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Last thing to check (because I have never worn any out before) would be the kingpins.
Jack up the axle from the center just a bit, keeping the tires touching the ground.
Grab the top of the front tire and push-n-pull.
THere should be no movement.
If you hear a clunking noise you will need to pull the wheel and check the upper and lower kingpins for failure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem was bad u joints on drive shaft in between the transmission and the transfer case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts