Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 sidekick and check engine light keeps coming on. Randomly the idle is up and down and when u first start it put it in drive and take off it jerks 4-5 times losing power then takes off after it does that once and the engine light kicks on it doesn’t do it again until u shut the car off and go to take off again.
Codes are p0400 which is egr vavle and other code is p0510 which is throttle position. I cleaned the egr valve and replaced the throttle position sensor. Any ideas? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
23,748 Posts
Welcome to the forum. First, it may be interesting to read post #3 here:
https://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-x/220930-3-codes-what-parts-change.html
With regard to the EGR code, not only does the EGR valve need to be cleaned but often the passages, as well. If you have the mechanical EGR valve, when you engine is warmed up, push the diaphragm of the EGR forward (without burning your fingers or puncturing the valve!). Your engine should try to stall. If it doesn’t, it means that the passages themselves are clogged. If you take the valve off the car, you can use carb cleaner sprayed into the intake and exhaust passages that you see, and ream them out as best you can. Before putting the valve back on the car, start the car for about 2 seconds. The engine will rev VERY high, and hopefully blow out some carbon for you. Note that you may have to clean the valve and passages a number of times before the code goes away.
For the TPS, that circuit is more than just the TPS sensor, but is also the wiring, connector, etc. And even a new TPS sensor needs to be calibrated. Chances are you probably didn’t need a new TPS, but would either have to re-calibrate the idle switch in the TPS, or check the wiring, resistance, etc. The entire FSM for your car is over on Acks FAQS:
http://acksfaq.com/2016bp.php?urlname=http://www.acksfaq.com/HTML/trackerfsm.htm
If you go to section 6A (mechanical), you’ll find instructions how to test and calibrate the TPS system in your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice.... i have tried a couple things and still no fix... after reading more of ur advice I’m gonna try a couple other options but i will let you and everyone know what it ends up being in case it happens to help someone for future reference! I appreciate everyone’s time and advice

·
Super Moderator
23,748 Posts
Just as an aside, note that the P0400 can be a real nightmare. Not only do you need to make sure that the EGR valve itself is really clean, and that the diaphragm snaps back strongly on the spindle (and be careful when using carb cleaner to clean this - sometimes the valve is really clogged, and you need to soak it overnight, but do NOT soak the diaphragm itself, as the carb cleaner will destroy it), but often times you need to ream out the passages more than once. Sometimes you dislodge carbon, but don’t actually get it removed, so that the code comes back.
Of course, once you do your repairs, you use your scanner to erase the codes, and then see if the ECU picks up the codes again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts