Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up, first post here.

I have a 90 tracker i recently just bought. It needs a few things to get to daily driver status. First off is the brakes. The day i bought it, the brakes went out on the interstate. i checked the master cylinder resevoir and it wad empty. filled it up at a gas station and it was better. the brakes are mushy when the engine is on or off. the parking brake does not engage or lock. its hard to tell if brake booster is hissing air because of open header. i suspect the geo needs a new master cylinder, but dont want to start throwing parts on it. how can i check to see whats bad? any help appreciated.

pic i took today after a quick bath.

·
Administrator
16,335 Posts
Whenever I see someone asking basic questions on brakes my first suggestion is always get professional help, brakes are not something you should be learning about on your own - I have nothing against DIY, but, there are distinct risks involved with mistakes made working on a vehicle's braking system.

First - if the master cylinder was empty to the point the brake system failed, then there is a leak that needs to be located and repaired, second - any time the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir drops low enough to allow air to enter, the system will need to be bled - and this step needs to be done before anything more than a visual assessment can be made.

So - step one is to inspect the system to see if you can locate the leak, and whilst you're doing that, you might as well go over it and check the general condition, there's no point in bleeding first and then having to tear it apart to change any parts which would result in it have to be bled a second time.

There's no reason to suspect a defective master cylinder unless you see signs of leakage from it.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,270 Posts
I suspect that the shoes were worn to the extent that a slave has blown out .... remove the drums and start inspection there....

... Philip

·
Registered
467 Posts
@cha0tic Love the tracker, I bought that exact same model/color in 1990, had it 5 years and sold it. Always wondered if it was still around... anyways, nice looking setup on yours.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I do most of my own work, and generally upgrade if possible. However, we don't know anything about you and your skills:( So you need to tell us what you can do? are you mechanically inclined? Oh, how rude of me~ Welcome!!!!!
This below is a link to my brake job. If you're willing, you may want to pull the wheels off and at least inspect the brakes, that's only if you're comfortable with doing that?
I'm willing to "help" you. It's a pretty easy brake system.
dne';)
what's the deal on the exhaust leak?:eek:

97 Geo Tracker brake job | Classic Cars and Tools

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I just bought the truck off CL three weeks ago. It has 178k and is 5spd. Mods include 3 inch body lift, 2 inch coil spacers, 31 wranglers and gutted. I do have a little bit of mechanical knowledge and experience to add. I'm going to have a buddy come over in a couple and help me see whats wrong. I dont really know much bout these trucks, but I am learning as I go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts