Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!
Need this vehicle roadworthy before the snow comes, but the damn weld has failed where the pedal arm connects to the rod. I may try to get it out and have it re-welded, but I'm willing to pay for even the whole assembly so I can just swap it out (and get the old pedal re-welded, to have as backup when the replacement fails, LOL).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have welded several, quick and dirty with a MIG..

.... Philip
I used to have a welder, but never got very good at it before I sold it. I could still save some money just taking it to someone who can weld it properly, but how well will it hold up? It's a stupid design... the way they did the other end makes a lot more sense. That joint takes a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
I believe the original was a spline and pinch bolt, a good weld will last for the life of vehicle...

... Philip

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's been about a year and a half, and my friend's weld held up quite well...until today.
I was road-testing the Tracker after replacing all the clutch components and cable (got stranded a while back when the pilot bearing fragged, and when I got the trans off etc. it appeared that all had been replaced at some point but NOT the $5 pilot bearing... d'oh).
I went around the block a couple of times and it seemed a tad loose so I crawled under and tightened the cable a tiny bit. Decided to go to the store and didn't get three blocks before the weld failed again. Good thing I still had my vise grips with me- managed to get home with that. Maybe I should just cut the pedal in half and weld the pedal part to a pair of vise grips, LOL
Seriously, it's beyond me why they didn't use a bolt as with other similar vehicles; this welded joint is a serious weak link. the end of the shaft isn't even keyed to lock into the pedal arm.
Anybody know of an alternative assembly that will fit? Something a bit more robust?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts