Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking around for a secondary, low mileage Suzuki and came upon two that I can consider. One is a 2008 Suzuki SX4 and the other is a 2006 Suzuki Forenza. Both are pre-2010 and around the same price range and a little over 100,000 miles. Should I consider one over the other? Does one have more or less known problems than the other? Is one more fun to drive than the other? Anything else I should consider between the two? I know I could dig around the forums but would appreciate any quick opinions.

On a side note I noticed no one likes wagons these days because of the SUVs and CUVs, but you can also get really good deal on a low mileage wagon. I also saw a Forenza wagon in addition to sedans but wonder if I should consider an SX4 over either. Should I consider anything else over these two, like an Aerio, etc.?

TIA

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What's this TRS issue they keep speaking of with the Forenza?

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
SX4 over the Forenza every time for me.
The last thing you need is trans issues in one of them. Anything around the 100,000 mark will need work, its just how much work it will need. service history will go a long way in helping you decide.

Reactions: Bjorg and ngrome

·
Registered
5 Posts
SX4 over the Forenza every time for me.
The last thing you need is trans issues in one of them. Anything around the 100,000 mark will need work, its just how much work it will need. service history will go a long way in helping you decide.
I agree with you, SX4 is much better than Forenza

·
Super Moderator
13,894 Posts
I don't know how I missed this discussion before - first - these vehicles are so far apart in design that I don't see how you could even want to compare them - the SX4 is a compact hatch (there is a sedan version), and the Forenza is a larger sedan (there is a wagon version) - I guess if you're looking for basic transportation, they'll both meet your needs - one is going to be more economical to operate and easier to park (a good city car), the other is larger, heavier, and I suspect more comfortable, especially on the open road.

Going off briefly on a tangent - although I live outside of the US, I visit frequently (2020 is the first year in over two decades that I haven't, because of the Covid pandemic) and when I do, I usually rack up quite a bit of distance "road tripping" (in 2019 we spent a week doing the lower half of the Pacific Coast Highway and were supposed to complete that this year) - so I understand the need for larger cars that can be comfortable for long trips, and also the desire for smaller cars that are fuel sippers and easy to park in the city. Seeing the Smart Fortwo zipping along the I4 sort of freaks me out.

Back to the comparison - the Forenza is not a Suzuki, it's a rebadged Daewoo Lacetti, that was also sold by GM under half a dozen different names - it was never a popular vehicle under any of it's disguises, and is going to be quite difficult to source parts for. The SX4, and let me make it clear, the SX4 has a quite a few variants as well, is a genuine Suzuki product, and has much better support in most of the markets where it was sold.

Neither vehicle suits my needs, but if I had to choose one or the other, my choice would be the SX4 - compact & easy to park, decent load space if you fold the rear seats down, quite economical (we get the 1.5 litre M15 engined models here) and fun to drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts