Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone within driving distance of me that would like to change an alt (or get the dern torx bolt loose) in my 04 XL7??Will pay of course..I'm on the Ohio-Indiana border.Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
Do you have the correct fitting Torx bit? 50 mm if I recall.

Another option is to remove the entire alternator WITH bracket and Torx fastener still in place, and then attack the Torx on the bench. Even remove / drill it out for a conventional hex head replacement bolt. ;)

Welcome aboard too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome @Max Yeah i have the Torx bit.It started to strip as soon as i put some torque on it.I wasn't aware i could pull the alt with the Torx nut still attached.I did some looking around on the forum before posting and the most promising i seen was someone welded a broken bolt head onto the Torx and pulled it that way.
I don't have a welder and i have a really bad shoulder and back so that kind of limits what i can do.
I took it to a garage locally and they were kind of stuck on how to tackle it so i called off the repair.No use in them charging me $400.00 or so because it took them 3-4 hrs to figure it out.lol..I figured my best bet now would be to join a forum of people that REALLY know.

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
It got hung up in the site Spam program, so I pushed it through. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
H.O. alt installed.Just took off top bolt.Pried alt over and took it off brackets and all..Took the pita Torx bolt off when alt was out..Great voltage now on a big audio system. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
Coolness! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts