Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fans,

glad i found this site after some searching...
I have a suzuki Jimny (december 1999) and has a radio with enough powered for the 4 speakers it has (standard 40 but it misses a lot of bass.

My question , is there a way to get some better bass ?
Is there enough space front or rear to put in some better speakers?

Anyone who has some knowledge on that , or has some ideas?

John

·
Registered
99 Posts
Iv got a sammy and had leftover bass speaker, amp, cap etc. I recently built a box to fit in my sammys boot. It has 2 6x9s in each side, air tight bass box and a lit ontop, all fits in. I also replaced the front speakers with upgraded ones, but i wish i hadnt, i can barely hear the front ones now, the standard are better imo. Can email pics if your interested

·
Registered
4 Posts
Uprated speakers will always make a big difference in the sound.
Now, that said, there are lots of factors that influence what sounds better compared to you old speakers.
One of the first is- what is the listed "db @ 1w/m". That will tell you how loud the speaker will play with a limited amount of power (your case max 40w). Every 3 db raise takes doubling the power to it. SO if you buy a Boston Acoustics ( which i think sound pretty good ) that has a rating of 92db compared to a set of Rockford Punch rated at 86.5db the B.A. will be as loud at 40w as the Rockford at about 160w. Now if your going to get a BIG amp no problems, but with deck power it makes a sizable difference.
-Dont worry about max power ratings- a built in amp on a deck will NEVER be too much power. Depending on the deck, the amp may be better or worse quality and you will easily hear that.
-Installation makes all the difference!!! if you mount the speakers tight with no air leakage around the front- everything will sound better. One idea is to use speaker baffles like those from XTC. They will also help to keep dirt and water from the backside of the speaker.

Good luck, better sound is worth the trouble to get it.

(specs. from crutchfield)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts