Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to start a bit of a build thread for my GV, so I can post updates and ask some questions.

A quick bit of info about my GV...

I bought it brand new at the end of 2011. Its a 4 cylinder 2.4L 4 door.

Mod list so far (will endeavour to keep updated)

Still to come:
  • Snorkel
  • 40mm Lift
  • Bullbar w/ Winch
  • Rock Sliders
  • UHF Radio
  • Roofracks
  • Cargo Basket

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Good morning,

Nice GV with those tires :). Since you mention the lift was not installed yet, how much rubbing do you have with the 245/70/16 tires? are the rims offset to help? does the suspension bottom out at any point? how about rubbing when turning the steering wheel?

Thx for answer, looking to gain some lift on my 2010 v6 and i am not sure about a suspension lift yet.

Marcos

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi marcofish,

I've actually experienced some noticeable rubbing, on the front, and top of the two front wheel arches. The lugs on the muddies do just scrape the front of the arch, but not bad enough to really cause any trouble. But since taking it off-road the rub on the top of the arch is noticeable when the wheel articulates. The lugs have torn off some of the rubber seal inside the top of the arches which I have just decided to cut away and possibly replace at a later time. As a result I have booked in for a Dobinson 40mm lift which will be installed this coming Tuesday, I should have some pictures up once that is completed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mate I must admit, you look keen in those photo's! Are you sure you're not pushing the SGV a bit too far? She's very capable, but most agree not a rock crawler and that's some serious mud you're tackling there (the tires of course seem to be up to the job!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I don't think I am to be honest SGV_2007. I was originally going to get the much more capable Jimny Sierra however opted for the SGV for the comfort and power.

I like to think I only tackle things I know the car can handle, such as some mud puddles and some light-moderate rock crawling/trails. But to be honest you NEED the tyres, lift and body protection before you attempt these things.

There's been plenty of times where I've had to sit back and watch my mates attempt things I would not do with my GV but that's fine with me, and at the end of the day if I pick up a scratch or two or break a CV then thats all part and parcel of going offroad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the Dobinson 40mm lift kit is now installed thanks to Outdoor Auto.
It's allegedly gained 40mm lift at the front and 50mm at the rear, I haven't checked just yet but sounds legit.

During the install I was informed that I was missing a shock bearing (or something similar, however they were kind enough replace it with one they had lying around at no charge) so all good on that front.

There was some (more) noticeable rubbing from the front tyres on the bottom of the front bumper so I've trimmed that away, all fixed.

Also the Beaurepairs technician who did the balance/alignment informed me that the traction control light came on when he was taking (right) hand corners at 60km+ (Something I've never ever seen happen before, yet replicated once on the way home) I'll get my mechanic to check out during the cars next service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had the Dobinson lift fitted via Outdoor Auto a couple of weeks ago. Raised 40mm in the front and 50mm in the rear. Really makes a big difference with clearance, and best of all the tyres dont rub anymore!

I took her out last weekend to Landcruiser Mountain Park for an overnight stay and she exceeded my expectations out on the track, and left a mate I took with me thoroughly impressed. Here is a pic of me while we were out there. The photo doesn't do justice to how steep the hill was.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice GV mate! Do you know the exact specs for those rims? They're exactly what i'm after.

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know the weight limit for the rear door? I got caught out without a spare and now I need to know if I can mount one to the rear or I have to purchase a cargo basket and put it in there.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Does anyone know the weight limit for the rear door? I got caught out without a spare and now I need to know if I can mount one to the rear or I have to purchase a cargo basket and put it in there.
I've had my 245/70/17 on the OEM alloy rim on the rear door for the last 6 years, no problems so far, no sagging or anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice GV mate! Do you know the exact specs for those rims? They're exactly what i'm after.

Cheers
Hey mate,

Sorry for the late reply. They are Dynamic steel wheels size 16x7 5x114.3 with an offset of +30 and they cost me $74AUD each.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
VIDEO FOOTAGE OF DAY OUT

Despite not listening to a mates warning about a stump I managed to hit it and get a puncture and ofcourse I had no spare. So it was a hairy hour or so on the way out. You can see the stump and the puncture in the following pictures.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Amazing pictures and video! You guys have really nice trail in Australia.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts