Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From everything official I have read, the CEL should come on at multiples of 50k, 80k, and 100k. However I've heard about some coming on at 60k multiples so it makes me wonder.

I know it doesn't really matter at this point but I've been curious about how many miles are actually on mine, since I only have the 5 digit odometer. Or at least on the cluster if it has ever been changed.

I bought it with just over x15000. The nag light was on when I got it, PO didn't know how to turn it off so I found the switch. Then it came on just a few miles after x20000 so I turned it off. It now has just over x35000. Nothing yet.

So if the 50k/80k/100k rule is true, then it most likely was 320k when the light came on, multiple of 80k. But if some come on at 60k then 120k would be more likely. It obviously spent a lot of time in the woods before me, so either mileage is possible.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
My nag didn't adhere to that rule - I bought the car with 43,000 and it never went off until it hit 100,000 and then went off at 170,000. I don't know the history of the car (or how long you have had it), so it's difficult to determine the exact mileage. How old was it when you bought it at x15,000?? Was it the daily driver of the previous owner? Insurance companies now indicate approximately 10,000 miles per year as 'average'.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's ok I'll probably never know. I bought it Jan 2 2013. The PO drove it back and forth to work a few miles one way but it was also a mud toy and he had a buddy's super swampers on it so he put on a good set of 235s for me. He lost his license (presumably DUI) and so had to sell it but was in the process of fixing some things up on it (brand new brake lines, calipers, exhaust). The sides are lined with fine scratches and pieces of sticks between body panels which suggests it's been through the woods a lot. Of course I run back roads through the woods every now and then too but I drive 30k a year otherwise. It has the 4mm thermostat so for a 91 I think it might be a later engine swapped in. The title had the checkbox selected for the mileage field which says "beyond mechanical limits of odometer (rolled over, etc.)".

So hard telling around here because it varies so much. If you have a fixed income and never leave your small town you barely drive. Otherwise you could easily drive 30k or 50k or more a year like my dad and many others I know because good jobs are so few and far between. When I was younger I wanted a Cavalier wagon so bad but being the perfect salesman's car they all were a couple years old with 100k on them already.

My friend might have a Carfax account and I could try running it just for kicks. I was just curious.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
1991 was a bit of a crossover year - I have the 91 also, with the 4mm thermostat housing, as well as RWAL, etc. All factory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.