Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I performed the first oil change on my Forenza today.

- Took off filler cap.
- Took out dip stick.
- Drained oil. I noticed that even though this was the car's first oil change, there was no crush washer on the drain plug. I expected to find one.
- Replaced drain plug without a crush washer, because there was none to begin with.
- Removed oil filter and replaced with the appropriate model from Kragen. I primed the gasket before installing. I've always just tightened these by hand. I generally don't stop tightening until I can no longer turn the filter with my bare hands.
- Manual calls for 4.2 quarts, so I put 4.25 in for good measure.
- Checked for visible leaks. None found.
- Ran the car for two minutes, then let the oil settle for five minutes.
- Checked the oil on the dipstick and poof! There's no oil in there. Doubleyou tee eff?
- Rechecked for leaks. None found. Added .25 quarts of oil and rechecked dipstick. Says I'm a quart low. Didn't know what to think, drove car home.
- Four hours later, checked oil again. Registering a full quart low on the dipstick so I added .25 quarts again. Now it says I'm about 2/3 of a quart down.
- Checked AGAIN for visible leaks and spots on the ground under the car. Nothing there!

Any ideas where my magical disappearing oil is going?

·
Super Moderator
17,681 Posts
My quess is that the oil quantity amount you referenced is the amount WITHOUT a filter replacement factored in. Can you find another reference oil change quantity source to verify?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered that possibility. I looked around the `net a bit and didn't find anything. I don't think very many Forenza owners are DIY types. I was hoping to find information on fill amounts, and washers. But I got nothin'. :( I added about half a quart extra, which is way to much to account for the filter alone... and I filled the filter before I put it on the car, anyway. Do any of you Forenza owners do your own oil? How much do you put in? Are the dipsticks on a Forenza just retarded and measuring wrong, is the manual wrong about fill amount? I checked for leaks again yesterday and didn't find any. No oil under the car when it's parked, either.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I don't know if this would play in or not, but from what I understand there is a washer that you have to replace (if it needs to be) when you take off the bolt to drain the oil out. I am wondering if you didn't replace or put it back on and there may be a "suction" thingy going on becuase of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jurupa said:
I don't know if this would play in or not, but from what I understand there is a washer that you have to replace (if it needs to be) when you take off the bolt to drain the oil out. I am wondering if you didn't replace or put it back on and there may be a "suction" thingy going on becuase of it.
I was looking for that washer when I took the drain plug off. There was none there though. It was just the plug, screwed into the pan. Remember, this is the car's first oil change since it rolled off the line at the factory, so if there was supposed to be a washer there, the factory sure as hell shouldn't have forgotten it! So I replaced the plug without a washer again. :shrug:

I added another 1/8 quart of oil and it seems to be holding there, between the two marks on the dipstick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zipper said:
just missing oil, or is there spots
I've pretty much ruled out leaks... there doesn't seem to be any oil on the ground under the car. It's just that I had to put 5/8 of a quart more than the manual called for before the dipstick started registering it.

So to answer the question: just missing, not spots. :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I considered that possibility. I looked around the `net a bit and didn't find anything. I don't think very many Forenza owners are DIY types. I was hoping to find information on fill amounts, and washers. But I got nothin'. :( I added about half a quart extra, which is way to much to account for the filter alone... and I filled the filter before I put it on the car, anyway. Do any of you Forenza owners do your own oil? How much do you put in? Are the dipsticks on a Forenza just retarded and measuring wrong, is the manual wrong about fill amount? I checked for leaks again yesterday and didn't find any. No oil under the car when it's parked, either.

yea... there wasn't a washer on my two new Forenza's either (so what...it doesn't leak there) And yea... the oil dip stick is finicky. You really do have to check the oil when "it's warm"... not when you get home after driving and "it's hot".

Maybe there isn't much x-s capacity in the pan? And it has to drivel down? The last time the dealer performed maintenance; I checked after driving home and the dip stick was well above the level indicator on the stick. I think it was a mistake on the dealers part. Who knows. I really don't know why it's not correct (sometimes).

4.2 quarts seems right on the change. Check the oil on a flat surface when it's warm but before driving... ??

·
Registered
235 Posts
The Forenza/Reno can take as little as 4.5 but as much as 5 quarts, with filter. I change oil on these all day, so that's what I've found. Another thing to consider is that if you're using bottled oil, you won't get 5 quarts of oil out of 5 bottles. yes, I know they're 1-quart bottles and I'm sure they contain a whole quart, but the likelyhood that you'll get every tiny speck of oil out is almost none. I would bet you'd use pretty close to all 5 bottles of oil. As long as the total is somewhere in the range I just said (4.5-5Q) once the dipstick says full, you're fine...no need to panic about "lost" oil.
As for the drainplug gasket, I've not seen one entirely without one, but I do know that the factory gasket is aluminum, where the replacement one from Suzuki is copper....just FYI. Without changing the drainplug gasket at least every few oil changes, they will indeed start to leak.
On a side-note, oil filters other than GMDAT filters seem to leak MUCH more often than the OEM parts. I'm not sure why aftermarket filters just don't seem to seal nearly as well, but that's just what we (all the techs at my dealership) have seen.

·
Registered
388 Posts
We use bulk and a measured container to fill Forenza/Reno and we just put in 5 Quarts and all is well. We have not had much trouble with aftermarket filters over GMDAT as it is the typical Purolator 10111 size filter (Very common GM size).

The drain plug on occasion has been found to be stuck to the oil pan and with a touch of oil get lost on their. Look well. We change the stupid 28¢ gasket for the drain plug every time. I have seen it pull out the drain plug threads (thread saver) with the drain plug and finding a new of that size is very hard.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ive just got my oil changed today and now im getting oil leak ive got a 07 reno with 22k in miles and this is a first time Ive had any leaks in my car. Also some reason I got a CEL too and the place i get my oil change i beleive is closed on sunday. if they are should i wait till monday by then wont have any oil left in my engine or take it to the dealer on sunday?

·
Registered
153 Posts
My adsive to you is have a buddy rev your car while in parked at about 2500 to 3000 rpm.
while you check your muffler and verify if you have smoke that smells like oil comming out from it. If so , you might have a cracked cylinder head or maybe just a damaged gasket.

Hope this helps good luck

·
Registered
418 Posts
okay I will try that what you said in the last post, i just woke up last night i put a pan under the car to catch the oil that was leaking from the car im going to check it and see how much oil ive lost first before i crank the car, Funny thing was my car was driving fine with the CEL i didnt hear any noise seen any smoke but again this was at 10pm at night though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
wait a second. can you see you leak??? do you see an oil spill under your car?? cause if that may be the case, and your oil spill is located on the right side of the engine, then it might be your crankshaft seal.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i got it taken care of the person who didnt my oil change didnt tighten up the oil drain plug or bolt so i tighten it up with my socket and took it back to the shop on monday they replaced my oil the oil gasket and the oil filter and refunded me for the oil change and my cel had nothing to do with my engine it happends to me if i dont tighten my gas cap enough for some wierd reason.

·
Registered
92 Posts
if there are no leaks, the dipstick might be off won't be the first time that i have heard of it. just next time you do an oil change, be sure to double check the seating surface of the oil filter gasket to make sure the old gasket is off and fill the new one with oil and mesure the oil you put in minus the ammount in the filter to the specs stated in the owners manual. my 04 forenza came with a copper "crush" washer, but is complealty worn out. it started to leak slightly after the last oil change i did it leaked slightly not much just enough to freak the wife out, so i put a dab of permatex on the upper threads and problem solved. i have never had any problems with fram filters

·
Registered
92 Posts
by the way check you bell housing (where the clutch is) a failed rear seal will fill it up with oil and not spill on the ground. if that is the case, go ahead and buy a new clutch, the oil will ruin the friction materal on the orginal one

1 - 19 of 19 Posts