Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Iv just picked up a 91 vitara and the dash light for 4wd is on all the time. When i change to 4wd l the display changes but not when i go to 2wd. Is there a way of telling if im in 4wd all the time and its just the dash display that is wrong? thankyou

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you in the UK?? Presumably you are manual transmission....
The 4wd light runs off of a switch that is on top of the transfer case, connected by the orange/black wire. You get to it by removing the 4wd shift lever in the cab.
Some info here regarding this issue - could be switch stuck closed, wiring, etc.
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki...a-geo-tracker/43136-4wd-dash-light-stuck.html
Ah thanks man, thats very helpfull.
I whiped it off and had a look, i couldnt get the plastic cap with wires going into off (unsure if its seperate to the metal switch section)
Any way i undid the 21mm switch and there is a small black piece on the underside wich i presume is designed to hang out and be pushed up by the ball bearing that is in the housing infront of the drive selector.

My 4wd light is no longer on but unfortunatly i now have neither a 2wd light or 4wd light,
I.do however have the L light up when in 4wd Low gear position, this would come on when.selected even.with the switch out i presume that is on a different switch.

Anyway any ideas from here on out will as always be very appreciated.
Thank you
Ps yes its uk. Manual 2 litre petrol

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hello. Iv just picked up a 91 vitara and the dash light for 4wd is on all the time. When i change to 4wd l the display changes but not when i go to 2wd. Is there a way of telling if im in 4wd all the time and its just the dash display that is wrong? thankyou
You should be able to feel the difference when it is in 4WD, esp. when turning.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Sadly, while you are 'feeling the difference' you are also doing damage to your transfer case if you are driving in 4wd on a dry surface. If you do attempt this 'test' make sure your hubs are not locked. These cars are part time 4wd and should never be driven in 4wd with the hubs locked on a surface where the wheels can't slip.

Btrading - I don't have the wiring diagram for the UK set up - in the US, there is no 2wd light, and possibly no L one in all models, either. But I would assume that your difficulty is with wiring. If you have a DVM, you need to ascertain when these lights should light up, and check the specific wiring to those lights for battery voltage when they are supposed to be lit, as well as making sure you have no voltage on the ground (earth) wires to them.

·
Administrator
16,319 Posts
Suzuki did not offer a two litre engine in a Vitara back in 91, so if you have a 91 Vitara with a two litre engine someone has done a swap, and you now have the challenge of figuring out what engine, transmission and transfer case have been fitted, and what other parts may have been changed.

Until we know that, we can only over general advice, which is, as Bex has pointed out, you can cause drive train damage driving in 4WD on a hard dry surface.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't remember anyone telling b#trading to drive (in 4wd) on a dry surface. Also no idea how you can have a voltage on a ground?

There may be a wire contacting ground from rubbing thru it's insulation. So troubleshooting with an volt/ohm meter would be my next course of action.

IF you don't have a meter try following the wires back from the switch towards the lite while looking (closely) for wire broken thru the insulation and touching ground.

You may find it easier to have a helper watch the light for you while using either method.

·
Administrator
16,319 Posts
Gumby - we have a local proverb - translated from the local dialect it goes like this - if you throw a stone into a pig sty, the pig that cries out is the one that was hit - no one accused you of telling the OP to use 4WD on a dry surface - why do you feel the need to defend yourself - or do you just have a guilty conscience?

You suggested he would be able to feel the difference whilst turning - all Bex (and I) have done is point out that he should not adopt that approach on a hard dry surface - this is a common mistake made by many first time 4WD owners (myself included).

And as for voltage on a ground - if you've never seen it then you lack electrical experience - it does happen, and a lot more often than you think.

Research GFCI (Ground Fault Current Interupter), I'd be surprised if there weren't a half a dozen or so in your home - and the problem is not limited to utility power.

Put your meter negative on the battery negative post, pull the EFI fuse to prevent the engine from starting, put the meter positive on the engine block and crank the engine - do you have a voltage displayed on what is supposedly a grounded engine block?

Have you ever wondered why the fuel injection system has a separate ground on the intake manifold? It's to ensure that the ECU has an accurate ground reference, because "chassis ground" isn't really ground.

You can repeat this test on the headlights - put your positive meter probe on the low beam terminal of either headlamp bulb and switch on the low beam headlight - do you have 0V on what is supposedly a grounded terminal?

Don't be so quick to pick at the other member's posts - just because you haven't experienced it, does mean that another forum member hasn't, and that is the where the strength of for a lies - in the wealth of collective experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your help, its good to know i shouldnt engage 4wd on hard surfaces, in not knowing this i did try it out and spent 10 mins or so doing the same routes and circles with the stick in both positions, hopefully not to much damage done, it did start to smell hot and unhealthy!!, iv found a part number for the switch i need btw.

Thanks again to all that replied to me and offered up your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts