Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Picked up another tracker this weekend. Has a few paint chips in the front but not one ding in the rest of it. A little surface rust where a former battery leaked, besides that no rust anywhere. Paint is a little faded but wax seems to bring it back nicely. They put quite a few new parts on it to sell it, very nice people. The new one is a 98 with air, seems a bit peppier the 97 with air, even though the 97 runs real nice. Both are 4 by 4.

The 98 sounds a little different when starting up, I'd imagine the starters are from different companies. Whatever the 97 has sounds better to me. The steering on the 98 is a little smoother, could be that one came with newer Michelin tires and the 97 came with newer Uniroyal tires, I'm just not sure though.

The transmission shifts much smoother on the 98, maybe it's the oil used in it, I don't know. The 97 shifts fine, just not as smooth. I haven't ever been below 30 mpg on the 97, interested to see how the 98 does. (I drive slow) glide down hills ect. Both have tow hitches on them so the weight should be close.

The 98 was a one owner truck and they took very good care of it, both were in their early 60's when the bought it.

I don't know much about trackers yet, just wanted to make some observations. Just wanted to share, I really like these little trucks. My wife is trying to put the breaks on, she say's no more, lol. I said we need at least one more with an automatic for her to drive. We shall see!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
At least you are staying with "close to the same" that way parts from one will work on the other.

I have four, (actually if you add up the parts, I have just over 3...) But one is so different it might as well be a different brand! Another is just different... then the two that need to be combined to make one. I have lots of parts that will only work on one.

By "Both have tow hitches on them so the weight should be close." Do you mean "base plates" to connect a tow bar? (I see RV's in the back ground.) TracKicks are a very popular rig for flat towing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think it was you who pointed out in another thread a while back, try to stay with the years that you can exchange parts. I've just had to be a little more patient, but I heard you.

Yes, I did mean for flat towing. The 97 has a tow hitch in the rear too, not sure if I'll ever use it though. We towed it back from CA the other day, nice uneventful tow, just the way I like it.

I was surprised both don't drive exactly alike.

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
The 'generations' tend to run 1989-1990, 1991-1995 and 1996-1998, with regard to engine, suspension, etc. for compatibility. The convertible top however, is 1989-1995.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Its probably best I live in a condo and not a house with a driveway and garage, or I'd own 5 of these by now. My friends think I'm a lunatic about the one I own now. People just dont get it. Geo is a lifestyle, and its not a cool:cool: one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts