Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It arrived Friday so I didn't have time to weld it in for the day trip to the desert this past weekend. Here are some photos of what arrived. Hoping to find some time in the next couple weeks to put it in.

Here is a video of us driving around in our Sammy after fixing it up a bit from the last roll over. This was the longest trip I have taken in it, about 360 miles. It is very slow accelerating on the freeway. Really need to rebuild or replace the motor. Did okay off road on the mild stuff we drove. Ride was not at rough as I was expecting, which was a nice surprise, even with the tires inflated too high for off road. (Forgot to air them down when we went off road.)

I'll post more photos of welding in the roll cage as I go along. For now only trial fitted a couple pieces to see if they would fit considering the Sammy was rolled and fixed in my garage with no special tools.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where was the offroading at? looks like my local area around ridgecrest
We go shooting in this general area:

35°12'0.34"N
117°24'42.31"W

It is off the 395 about 60 miles north of where the 15 and the 395 split.

What's the gun?

I bought my Sammy primarily to use when coyote calling and other hunting.
Winchester 700 Tactical 30-06. We only shoot targets and use area to sight in toys. Not sure if okay out there to hunt anything. To think of it, seldom ever see anything alive out there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are a few pics of the cage tack welded in place. Overall fit was good and nice smooth bends. Only fit problems I think were due to my Sammy having already been rolled and banged back to shape in my garage with primitive tools. So my body isn't as square as it should be. Nothing a big hammer could not deal with. :D

Looking forward to getting it welded up, roof liner installed, and touch up the inside a little bit with some paint. I'll post some more pics when it is welded up and the interior put back together.

[/IMG]http://www.suzuki-forums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9571&stc=1&d=1271742296[/IMG]

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally finished up the Samurai. Cage is welded together. Also did a quicky roof liner. I used some scrap floor insulation (BlueCore foam) that I had left over from making RC airplanes. Sprayed it gray to match the rest of the interior. Should prevent the heat from cooking through the tin roof. I also devised a rear tire support. When the spare holder is closed I put a pin through the hinge that keeps it from vibrating without putting undue strain on the rear door. Also welded a bold to the swing gate that presses against a plate I welded to the body to prevent vibration and brace the tire swing arm. To beef up the bumper I welded plates inside the bumper mounts and attached straps to the body frame mount bolts that keep the bumped from bouncing on bumpy roads.

Now the only problem is an oil leak that started up again. Oh well. Will keep it off the driveway and good enough for now!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i was wondering if you could get me a link to where you bought the roll cage? or possible you could get me a schematic/diagram with the measurements so i could maybe build one myself if possible. Let me know, thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts